It is currently Wed 24 Jul 2019 04:46 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Repatriation

passport-driving license

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

passport-driving license

Postby cityboys1911 » Thu 3 Jul 2014 19:04 GMT

I joined yesterday and left my first post this is my second one.
my wife and I became US citizens in 2008 but we still hold British Passports and British drivers licenses both expire at the end of this year how do we renew them both ??? can my son who still lives in the UK renew them for us can some one help me with this one.
Dave
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
cityboys1911
Free member

Postby Dave » Fri 4 Jul 2014 00:47 GMT

Hi, and welcome. :)

You renew your passport by applying to whichever British Consulate is responsible for your part of the US - you should be able to find out which one that is by checking the Embassy's website.
https://www.gov.uk/government/world/org ... washington

You can't renew your UK driving licence unless you're living at a UK address.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby cityboys1911 » Fri 4 Jul 2014 14:19 GMT

Thanks Dave for the info my son still lives in the UK could he do my drivers license for me and use their address ???
also my Passport renewal as we are US citizens with a US passport if I renew my British passport in the US wont they know I have a US passport and would that be a problem.
Dave
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
cityboys1911
Free member

Postby Dave » Fri 4 Jul 2014 14:27 GMT

On the driving licence, I honestly couldn't say - you'd be best off checking on the DVLA website.

As for the passport, the UK allows its citizens to hold multiple citizenships. Unless you've renounced your British citizenship by writing to the Home Secretary, you can just apply for your passport in the usual way.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby cityboys1911 » Fri 4 Jul 2014 18:40 GMT

thanks Dave
Posted by:
cityboys1911
Free member

Return to Repatriation