It is currently Wed 20 Nov 2019 08:47 GMT
Change font size

Repatriation

Repatriation: freelancer with Japanese wife

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Repatriation: freelancer with Japanese wife

Postby Jameswh77 » Fri 11 Jul 2014 18:36 GMT

I've been living in Germany for 7 years and married for 5. We are interested to move to UK but it seems impossible with the new laws as I apparently need a job with 18k. I am a freelancer and earn way more than that but I want to remain self employed.

Should I basically give up and hope the laws change one day so we can go back, or are they ways around this in my situation?

Any advice appreciated, and would love to hear from anyone in the same boat.
Posted by:
Jameswh77

Postby Dave » Sat 12 Jul 2014 01:05 GMT

Hi, and welcome. Sorry to hear about your situation.

On the face of it, it sounds as if you may be covered by the EU's freedom of movement laws - if your main residence was in Germany for all that time and if your wife has an EEA family permit to accompany you there.
EU Rights Clinic: UK Changes Rules on Surinder Singh Route

It certainly sounds as if you were making 'genuine and effective use of the [freedom of movement] rights'. Good luck. :-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Jameswh77 » Sat 12 Jul 2014 20:42 GMT

Thanks for your help.

That does sound promising indeed!

The thing I'm wondering is how that translates onto uk law in practice, ie what kind of visa my wife would need to apply for. Also I'm not clear from reading about the Singh route if that right is permanent, I mean because we married while I was working in Germany, does that give her indefinite right to residency? Or it just means it eases the process of the initial visa she would apply for? Would seem hard to believe the former but it kind of sounds like it, but sounds almost too good to true, given the way things are so exteme these days.

But in general the rule makes perfect sense and is very reasonable... Is it something that tends to be a battle or do you happen to know if they (uk immigration) readily respect and adhere to it?
Posted by:
Jameswh77

Return to Repatriation