It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 15:46 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Repatriation

Moving to the UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Moving to the UK

Postby AustinWong » Thu 4 May 2006 09:43 GMT

Hi there everyone,

I am dead keen to move to the UK from New Zealand with my wife and 3 children.

I would like to go for about 2 years.

I get mixed messages. Some say great and the latest say I am crazy to move there with wife and kids. They say it is too expensive and unsafe women and children.

What a dilemma.

What I need to know is how much do we need to earn to live in a safe part of either, Newcastle, Durham, York or Lincoln as these are the places I have narrowed down to be reasonable parts of England to live. Based on North being cheaper to live (though colder) and also people are more friendly up North.

We live comfortably but modestly in New Zealand, don't eat out often at all or spend money on luxuries. Nor do we try to keep up with the Jones.

Sp what salary before tax would we need to earn? 2 Children are school age the 3rd preschool. Will be 4 when we get there. What are average power bills? rents?How do you o about renting,?What are hidden costs in renting?

Actually how old are kids when they go to school in England?

Any help would be great. I have struggeld to get a good picture of cost of living in theUK generally.

Regards

Lawrence
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
AustinWong
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 4 May 2006 10:05 GMT

Hi Lawrence

Welcome to BE! But I'm not sure if you've come to the right place. Nearly everyone here is running in the opposite direction :wink: .

Sorry, I don't know about the cost of living in the north of England. Last time we were in the UK we were in London and it was horrendously expensive. And cold. And there were so many rules and regulations to follow.

Perhaps if you tell us why you'd like to move to the UK, we might be able to help some more. In what ways do you envisage that the quality of life would improve for you and your family?

Good luck whatever you decide.

Kay 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby AustinWong » Thu 4 May 2006 10:09 GMT

I know that I am back to front with the forum :oops: But trying to find information is so hard. I am getting desperate. :shock:

Why the UK?

English speaking. I can work at my profession while living in another country. Life experience. Close to the Mediterranean countries.

Go for 2 years and maybe bring home some squids :)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
AustinWong
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 4 May 2006 10:20 GMT

Ah, OK, things are getting clearer. :)

I think you mean that you are expecting a higher salary in the UK and therefore will be able to save some dosh to return home with. Fair enough, but even if you can get a higher salary, then - as you are obviously aware - most of it will be eaten up by the higher cost of living.

I guess much of it depends on what your profession is.

One idea which might be right for you (again, depending on your profession) is to get an expatriate employment contract. The package usually includes rent free accommodation, often school fees, travel etc, etc. We have a page about such things:
http://britishexpat.com/resources/emplo ... -contract/

It's quite easy to save money if you can land yourself something like this.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby AustinWong » Thu 4 May 2006 12:27 GMT

Thanks for that. :)

Can anyone tell me roughly how much you need to earn as a couple with 3 children to live a modest comfortable lifestyle in a safe part of North East England?

Please please please..

thanks

lawrence
Posted by:
AustinWong
Free member

Moving to the UK

Postby rush841 » Mon 12 Jun 2006 18:43 GMT

I worked in York and lived in a town close by until 2004, and the economy is pretty much the same now. York is pretty expensive, though not like living down South or in the London area.

There was a huge housing market boom a few years back, so house prices are ridiculous. Expect to pay a lot for not much. You might want to consider renting until you see how things go. I don't know what you're used to making as far as income, but to live comfortably with 2 kids, I'd say at least 35,000GBP minimum.

As for the weather, it may be colder, but when it's nice, it's nice, and you can easily hop on a train or jump in the car and get to the seaside. I don't know who told you about it not being safe for women & children, and I can't speak of every area in the country, but North Yorkshire (York) was overall a safe place, and somewhere I'd feel comfortable raising my child.

Good luck!
Posted by:
rush841

Postby AustinWong » Tue 13 Jun 2006 05:48 GMT

That is great news. Thanks Rush 841

All cogs in progress now. Waiting on mothers birth cert which is being sent from Scotland. Moving roughly in March next year.

Does anyone have a view on Nottingham? We will likely live in a town or village.

Cheery

L
Posted by:
AustinWong
Free member

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 13 Jun 2006 11:51 GMT

I don't have any specific help for you Lawrence, but please keep us informed. I, for one, would love to hear your perspective on the extended visit and look forward to some positive reports!
Good luck with the move and enjoy the country.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby AustinWong » Wed 14 Jun 2006 06:38 GMT

Be pleased to keep you folk posted. Hopefullly i don't lose the website :)

Cheery

Lawrence

PS. The brith Cert arrived from Scotland today.

A much more efficient service than in NZ. Only took a week or so to arrive from ordering.
Posted by:
AustinWong
Free member

Postby by the sea side » Sat 24 Jun 2006 06:34 GMT

Hi Lawrence, I have just left the north of England and to be honest I wish I hadn't,but that aside Lincon, York, and Durham are really good places to live in England.Houses have gone up in price but renting is expensive in England,you have to pay council tax and water rates monthly just like buying.I don't know about the place being unsafe I felt safer in England than in OZ.It is colder ,I found gas a bit of a problem but the house we were in had a fire place and it was great.Do get a house with double glazing.If you get in touch from NZ to agents in England (we did this if you can provide rent up front for a few months you can fix it up before you go.Like any country there are bad places and good areas in every town.My advise here is keep away from the coucil houses estates or living in a town weres thers heaps.We lived in a small town 88,000 people with a small coucil population and they seem to be the bain of every town ciyt and village.North Derbyshire is a great place the people are feally down to earth and its cheaper than many other places. When are you going? Jennifer
Posted by:
by the sea side

Postby AustinWong » Sat 8 Jul 2006 02:48 GMT

Been a while since I checked this site. Have changed PC's and now have a laptop. Ready for the leap.

Thanks for your input Jennifer.

To answer your question, we are leaving in March 2007. Great news here in NZ. My Right of Abode application has been approved. It arrived in the mail today. So now I get to process the family's documents.

Wondering if anyone has a view on Norh Ireland.

L
Posted by:
AustinWong
Free member

Return to Repatriation