It is currently Sat 7 Dec 2019 05:54 GMT
Change font size

    Latest Message from British Expat:

  • Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?


Financial aid for UK postgrad courses?

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Financial aid for UK postgrad courses?

Postby matahari » Fri 30 Jun 2006 14:27 GMT

Am based in India for the last 26 years.
Am a british citizen.And now am done with india.
I do intend to study.
Can anyone tell me more about getting financial aid to do a postgraduate course in London University?
Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri 30 Jun 2006 14:24 GMT

Postby tonyspencer » Sat 8 Jul 2006 01:32 GMT

Hi Matahari

Very, very difficult to find funding these days!

If you can't get employer sponsorship, or a Research Council grant, it's basically a loan. And to qualify for a Research Council grant you have to have been resident in the UK for the preceeding 3 years.

Start with the National Postgraduate Committee:

They suggest finding as much out as possible before you leave your country, via your own Education Ministry, the British Council, and of course, the place where you intend to study.

There are a few rare scholarships, but these depend an awful lot on your subject area.

As you probably know, all forms of government student grant were done away with 15 or so years ago. Undergrad and postgrad students have to have either rich parents or take out loans.

Best of luck!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Free member
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed 7 Jun 2006 09:22 GMT
Location: St Rémy de Provence, France

Return to Repatriation