It is currently Thu 12 Dec 2019 10:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Repatriation

Customs Duties on Return to UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Customs Duties on Return to UK

Postby veritas » Mon 5 Nov 2007 22:51 GMT

We are planning to return to the UK after 15 years in Canada. We shipped all our UK household goods here by container when we came. Can anyone advise me what customs duties are payable on household effects when we return - some of the furniture etc. is what we brought to Canada from the UK, some was bought in Canada?
Posted by:
veritas

Postby Dave » Tue 6 Nov 2007 17:41 GMT

HM Revenue and Customs have a loooong document all about this!

Bringing your belongings and private motor vehicle to the UK from outside the EC

Sections 5 and 8 seem to be the main ones. If I've read this all correctly, the good news is that you probably won't have to pay duty or tax, as long as you've had your possessions for at least six months before arrival and keep them 12 months after arrival.

(As a personal aside, I remember that when my Dad brought his new car to the UK from Germany - where he'd been serving with the RAF - the V5 had an endorsement to the effect that it couldn't be sold for 12 months without reference to HM Customs & Excise, as it was then).

The slightly less good news is that you'll have to fill in a Form C3 listing what you're bringing in. But that's not so very onerous - if you're moving a lot of stuff, you'll be preparing the information for your shippers anyway.

Hope that helps :D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby veritas » Wed 7 Nov 2007 04:15 GMT

Very helpful, thank you!
Posted by:
veritas

Return to Repatriation