It is currently Wed 22 Jan 2020 20:07 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Happy New Year!
    Kay and Dave wish all our British Expat readers a happy, healthy and prosperous 2020!

Repatriation

very happy to be back home in UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Postby ukcharles » Wed 5 Nov 2008 04:43 GMT

I wouldn't swap my nationality for anything in the whole wide world.

I look upon my British nationality as a privelage and I am truly grateful to have been born British.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ukcharles
Free member

Postby Walsall_lad » Sun 1 Feb 2009 21:58 GMT

I agree with that statment,

Hi my name is Wayne and have been living in Louisiana USA since 2002, I miss certain things about ole Blighty with a passion, i know i was able to make a better life here in USA but I'm very proud to be English and wear my colours with pride,

One question that i have been asked and i'm sure other Expats have been asked and that is:- Where do you want to buried .. this is something i have not given much thought to,

Everyones thoughts

Wayne
Posted by:
Walsall_lad

Postby gozomark » Mon 2 Feb 2009 06:43 GMT

Hi Wayne and welcome to the forum :D

where would I like to be buried ? I couldn't give a monkeys :D Medical science can have me and use me for spare parts , and feed the remainder to dogs if they want
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Not-Lorna » Fri 13 Feb 2009 01:30 GMT

In the ground. :twisted:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

Postby Kay » Fri 13 Feb 2009 21:10 GMT

I think Mark's suggestion is the best. Take the spare parts which are of any use to someone, and use the rest for medical research if of any use. Then I think I'd go for being burnt rather than being fed to the dogs. Why should I care? Dunno, it's wasteful and not very logical.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Not-Lorna » Sat 14 Feb 2009 01:43 GMT

That was tongue in cheek. Quite frankly I won't care what happens to my body after I die and it appears to be the norm nowadays to be cremated. And as to where I want my ashes strewn? As Bob Hope said, "Surprise me"!
Posted by:
Not-Lorna
Free member

Postby sandman » Wed 14 Nov 2012 07:07 GMT

Glad to hear you say tha. After 24 yeras as an expat in the Med Middle east and sri lanka I am thinking of moving back asnd enjoying the very things you mention. Until folks live outside Uk they don't relise what they could be missing.
Posted by:
sandman

Postby GrahamSanRoque » Fri 28 Jun 2013 09:39 GMT

I know how you feel, I have been out of the UK since 1987 and living in Spain and Thailand now I feel its time to go home (UK) The only problem now is returning with my Thai wife and our two small children, it's a hard process and I feel so frustrated with all the B**** paperwork. Hope to have it sorted soon and I very much look forward to showing my family places and enjoying simple things like a walk along the beach and a visit to the country side for a picnic. My daughters want to see Buck House and a princess, what can you say too a 4 year old, yes sure you can.
Posted by:
GrahamSanRoque
Free member

I Agree Alan

Postby zerothehero » Sun 15 Jun 2014 08:34 GMT

Hi I agree it makes a nice change to hear something positive about the U.K for once.I know it is far from perfect as Canada is.

Kay's remark about 'foreigners' was a little odd since this country is largely comprised of such and in my experience here I have received many racist /intolerant remarks in my past which I know many will attribute to my attitude,( normally positive) or they will simply disbelieve such a thing is possible. Oh and the crime? there are more shootings per capita here in Canada than all of Britain in most cases,with guns smuggled from our neighbour to the south.

I also want to go home,because I find the people there much more down to earth and warmer. I wish it were different here having lived all around the GTA but nothing changes for me.....I am still befuddled about it all ...>
Posted by:
zerothehero

Me Too

Postby zerothehero » Sun 15 Jun 2014 08:43 GMT

Me too Alan, I am trying so hard to save up,then again I would need a job there.I went over in 2009 for 5.5 months and couldn't find one...or I'd be back home tomorrow.

Sorry to sound miserable but isn't this site for discussing our experiences?

cheers :)
Posted by:
zerothehero

Postby Kay » Sun 15 Jun 2014 08:54 GMT

I think a community anywhere is what you make of it. If you're likeable, then people will like you. If you're a miserable git, then they won't. :)

We've not been in the UK for nearly ten years - not even a visit. It was a big enough shock to the system back in 2005 for a temporary visit. I can't imagine how it will be now with another 10 years worth of changes.

Actually, I don't need to imagine what it'll be like as we can find out first hand pretty soon as we have a trip planned next month.

Part of me worries about reverse culture shock but that's daft. After a lifetime of being a nomad, why worry? Home is where I hang my hat. I guess I'm going to need a hat too. London in July. Brrrr. Atishoo!
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby cityboys1911 » Sun 27 Jul 2014 22:43 GMT

I have lived in the US for 12 great years but still miss things back in the UK I also have a son and 2 grandchildren their, we have now retired and we are both beginning to miss the things we had back home in Florida we live in a rural area no public transport nowhere to local to go for a drink and when you retire from work all of a sudden the people you worked with soon forget you so we are isolated here even though we still have daughter in NJ 1200 miles away so yes we are feeling homesick. we want to be able to go to the local pub go into town and meet up with old friends can anyone blame us for wanting to do that after reading some of the blogs I hope not
Posted by:
cityboys1911
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 28 Jul 2014 00:07 GMT

You don't necessarily have to move country to achieve what you want - consider just moving location within the country.

Every country, in my experience, has different types of places to live - rural and urban. Even within those there are many different types. Take any city - London, Bangkok, Paris - the location within the city can make a heck of a difference.

There's no need to move country as a first resort - you only do that if that's what you want to do or if it's necessary for some reason.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Repatriation