It is currently Sat 7 Dec 2019 00:03 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Repatriation

How do I draw USA SS pension while retired in the UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

How do I draw USA SS pension while retired in the UK

Postby Doc Guitar » Tue 2 Jun 2009 19:25 GMT

Hello everyone, this is my first visit to the forum. I am a UK citizen and I emigrated to the USA in 1967 with my green card. I worked in California for about twenty years for the phone company. I returned to the UK in 1987 and in less than two years I will be 65.
Can anyone tell me how to apply for my USA Social Security pension. I have checked the SS website and have recieved an estimate based on the information I provided, but have no way of comunicating with the SS administration regarding how to draw the pension, their online form keeps asking for a zip code.
Posted by:
Doc Guitar

Postby Kay » Tue 2 Jun 2009 19:40 GMT

Hi and welcome to our forum.

It would be great if someone could answer your question but we're not strong on USA content. Some of our competitors are based there and might have better answers for you. Or you could try our In-Country-Experts Forum on a US board. But I don't think we'll be able to offer much advice on this particular issue.

Good luck with your plans.

Kay :)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Doc Guitar » Tue 2 Jun 2009 21:37 GMT

Thanks Kay, I'll keep looking.
Posted by:
Doc Guitar

link to advice for US SS abroad

Postby jp410cpd » Wed 17 Jun 2009 19:52 GMT

I am in US and pretty sure there is a way to do this as I shall be in the same situation as you in a few years.

For USC living outside US the SSA website says to contact the US Embassy in the country that you reside http://www.socialsecurity.gov/info/isba/otherways.htm

Here is an article about how to receive the payments
http://www.overseasdigest.com/odarticles/receive1.htm

Are you aware of WEP ? (Windfall Elimination Plan) This US ruling reduces your US pension by 50% of any 'foreign' pension you receive - so my thoughts on this are consider the timing of when to start your US pension and your UK Pension. If you delay starting your UK SS then you would get full US SS up until you start the UK SS and it would reduce after that.
I am just a working dude, not a Financial Advisor.
Posted by:
jp410cpd

Return to Repatriation