It is currently Fri 22 Nov 2019 18:26 GMT
Change font size

Repatriation

Should we return?

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Should we return?

Postby franco774829 » Tue 15 Jun 2010 16:52 GMT

We are in a quandary here. We emigrated to Sweden 3 1/2 years ago with our small children (now 5,7 and 8 ). We are really struggling with it - the children have slotted in and are fully involved in school etc. - my wife and I have not. We have struggled to make friendships and feel isolated - the country house seemed idyllic to start with. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Did you go back and did it work out? Did you leave an escape route back to the foreign country?

We are trying to get as many views as we can so please comment if you feel able.

Thanks, Paul.
Posted by:
franco774829

Postby IWantToBeMaltese » Wed 7 Jul 2010 15:48 GMT

Hi there, sorry you are not fitting in well, but i suggest that you stick it out, if you've managed this long, im sure you'll be fine.
If you continue too feel isolated i would suggest that you try and go to social places and just spark up a friendly chat with somebody, maybe a pub or a club?

If you take your kids out of school and bring them back here, they will lose there friends and will have to start life again, which would be very difficult for them.

But if you feel that you absolutely can't make friends after a few months, then sit down and talk with your partner and discus what would be the best for you and your children.

I hope this helped you.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
IWantToBeMaltese
Free member

hi

Postby kimberlygt76 » Thu 10 Mar 2011 07:42 GMT

Ola, I am kimberly Getti Recently moved from Kansas, originally from Kansas City and have lived there most of my life.

I enjoy my family,I prefer all 4 seasons , specially the Fall and with all its colors.

Technology has been a part of my life for the last 5 years and most recently primarily on the World Wide Web.

I love to learn new things.
Things as they are, more and more people are seeking advice from people who have walked the walk and can teach others how to benefit from what they went through. Message me if you need my help

I am a designer in the field of Engineering and Scientific time management software.

I love to ask questions

I volunteer for valid causes that help the elderly.

Glad to be a part of this site and look forward to meeting you online here.

5 spammy links removed, FIVE!! Left the post just so everyone can see how helpful this spammer wants to be, also, not living in the USA.
Posted by:
kimberlygt76

Postby shaun65 » Sun 8 May 2011 09:14 GMT

well i seem to be in the same situation...i have been out of the UK for around 20 years, the last 14 in Denmark..I am really home sick and want to, need to move back home...I am getting divorced, selling up and getting ready to go...but....how will i find it..I am visiting the UK a lot, i don´t expect much from it, will work hard to get my motorbike as thats all i have and my girlfriend is all I want...but what are the pit falls...have no savings, un skilled worker, good with my hands, ex military, veteran, so what can i expect...?? any help would be nice...as I seem to be on the edge and need a push...
Posted by:
shaun65

Postby Debi » Thu 12 May 2011 17:23 GMT

there is nothing in England anymore

my partner and i are in the middle of trying to emigrate to bulgaria we cant get away quick enough our house has been on the market for 2 years noone can get a mortgage anymore so it hasnt sold we are having to sell it to an internet company for 30 thousand less than its worth. the country is on its knees the price of gas has gone up again and thats not the only utility bill thats increased people just cant afford to live here now. we have bought a property in bulgaria.

for the sake of the kids i would stay put as there really is nothing here my children are 21 and 18 and im encouraging them to look for work abroad.

Debi
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Debi
Free member

Postby shaun65 » Thu 12 May 2011 18:45 GMT

kids are long gone...my heart and love are in the UK...
Posted by:
shaun65

Postby bladeliker » Wed 18 May 2011 16:44 GMT

dont come back trying to get a job now days in the UK is impossible you see more workers from the eu than any where els mainly from the eastern block who are working for pitence and leaving the ordainery jo out of work its a real knife fight as well and dont expect to get a house straight away becouse the councils have a three year waiting lists and allso you better rent a home before you move back as you could be homeless
Posted by:
bladeliker

Land of Nog for 24 years

Postby SuzeB66 » Sat 27 Aug 2011 13:13 GMT

I've lived in Norway for 24 years, my whole adult life.
I chose to stay here, after my husband died for my kids sakes :? - It's a slower, cleaner lifestyle for them. :)
2 of my kids are adults now (one in Oslo, the other studying in Australia) & I have a 14 year old...BUT I cannot hang on anymore - I want home! :cry:
My parents are getting older, nieces & nephews are being born & I've missed out on every happy/sad event these last 24 years :(
I've been through the happy/unhappy stuff myself & had no one to share it with - I've pretty much been isolated for the time I've been over here.
The nogs & myself have nothing in common & I've not thrived here at all - In fact I've been trying to get back home since I arrived :lol:
I definitely notice I'm good ol' me when back home :D

When I moved over (one suitcase - and a months work permit ..earn some cash for our UK wedding), my then fiancè, took the reins & did everything - I did all the 'wifey' stuff - Now I have the daunting task of trying to figure how to move back - I know nothing... :hide:

So I'm gonna sit & gather as much info as poss :compucoffee: & see if I can make any sense of it all & hope it will one day get me the 'heck outta here!!!'

oh :oops: Hello btw :wink:
Posted by:
SuzeB66

Return to Repatriation