It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 18:19 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Repatriation

Feeling Drawn Back To The UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Feeling Drawn Back To The UK

Postby jasebishop » Tue 20 Jul 2010 07:24 GMT

I am 40 years of age. I was born in the UK and moved to Australia with my parents in 1979. I have been naturalised Australian and maintain both passports. I've never really felt like Australia is my home. The males here are extremely uncouth and I have had real troubles making friends with them or even identifying with or working with them. I think it is an intellectual thing.
Recently I have felt a really strong pull to return to the UK. It feels like homesickness and is occupying my thoughts for much of the time.
The catch for me is that I have recently been diagnosed with MS, am restricted with the amount of work I can do and have medical treatment that I must continue indefinitely.
I have applied for an Australia Disability Pension, for which I am eligible, but which has not yet been approved.
I want to find out what avenues are available for me to return to the UK
Posted by:
jasebishop

Postby Kay » Thu 22 Jul 2010 13:39 GMT

Hi Jase

Welcome to the forum. Have you been back to the UK since you emigrated in 1979? The UK has changed a heck of a lot since then, and it may not be quite what you expect.

The main thing is not to rush into any decision, and to read and discuss your options before making any move - which is pretty much what you're doing, of course, by joining our forum. I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you, but with any luck perhaps our other members can help.

Good luck with your plans whatever you decide.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Repatriation