It is currently Wed 24 Jul 2019 04:15 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Repatriation

Want to move back to UK with my american spouse

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Want to move back to UK with my american spouse

Postby nc3134 » Fri 7 Jan 2011 03:15 GMT

Hello,

I am from the UK and have lived in the US for 9 years, i married my american spouse 3 months ago, my wife has a 5 year old daughter who will be moving with us also.
I'm not really sure how to get started with this and what i should do so any advice or information would be really great!!!
Posted by:
nc3134

Postby Dave » Fri 7 Jan 2011 07:26 GMT

Hi, and welcome. :-D

If you're planning to settle in the UK, the first thing you'll need to think about is getting your wife and her daughter the right to settle there with you. (Short-term visits are OK as the UK doesn't require US citizens to have a visa.) The UK Border Agency website has plenty of info about the conditions that you'll need to meet for that:

UKBA: Husbands, wives and civil partners

One of the conditions is that you'll need to prove that you can support yourselves without help from public funds - so you'll need either a job, or proof of substantial bank balances/income.

Good luck, anyway. :-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Repatriation