It is currently Thu 17 Oct 2019 09:58 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Repatriation

Repatriating an expat, who has no UK family. Advice?

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Repatriating an expat, who has no UK family. Advice?

Postby AlexAllen » Mon 17 Jan 2011 09:49 GMT

I know an elderly lady in France, a widow, who is desperate to come back to the UK. She cannot look after herself, and would have to go into a nursing home.

However, she has no family or friends in the UK who can organise her move.

Does anyone know of any charities, or groups who help with cases like this? UK Social Services don't want to know until she's over here, and even then they say they need a person to be responsible for organising her finances, finding her a home etc.

I can't take her on and support her, or be responsible for her. Does anyone know who could?

Any ideas or leads would be welcome.

Thanks.
Posted by:
AlexAllen

Postby chris green » Mon 17 Jan 2011 12:11 GMT

Hi Alex, welcome to the Forum.
This is a difficult situation. Many of the services available to the elderly in the UK are the responsibility of the local authorities and evidence of residency in the area (I think three months) may be necessary before they will consider your friends situation.

Do you know whether this lady or her husband had a career in the UK? There might be a welfare organisation or Trade Union for that industry which could advise. My own career was in the entertainment industry where the Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund do great work with the retirees from 'light' support to full residential care.

It must be very distressing for her but therein is a lesson for all of us.

Hopefully someone here will have more positive advice and please let us know the outcome. c.
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 17 Jan 2011 12:28 GMT

Hi Alex and welcome from me too.

Some excellent suggestions there, Chris.

Presumably the lady doesn't have much money. Otherwise she could hire a carer and live in temporary accommodation until a nursing home can be found.

Might it be worth contacting the people at Age UK for advice if you haven't already done so?
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

I hope you find some answers to this problem soon. As Chris says, it must be very distressing for all concerned.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Mon 24 Jan 2011 18:53 GMT

Alex, how is she living at the moment? Relying on friends & neighbours? And how long has she been in France? Does she qualify for any form of assistance in France? If so, it would be worth finding out whether this is transferrable. Clutching at straws, I know, but it's worth checking out every possible source of help.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Repatriation