It is currently Fri 22 Nov 2019 18:13 GMT
Change font size

Repatriation

Leaving the Arab Region?

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Leaving the Arab Region?

Postby tommykabbs » Fri 4 Feb 2011 18:07 GMT

I've decided to leave the Arab lands, finally!

The plan is sometime late 2011.

I'm planning to spend my 1 month vacation in London.

I have a British Overseas Citizen passport but I don't have the right of abode which means I'm restricted to full-time work in the UK but I can go there for a visit without a visa and I can stay for a maximum period of 6 months and then exit then re-enter.

The plan is to spend this 1 month with hopes of getting an idea of what's it like living in the UK. I am planning on immigrating in fact, if I can find a decent part-time job or a PhD scholarship.

Getting a work permit or applying for a job from here is very very difficult. No company in the UK is interested in hiring a non UK/EU citizen or even helping in getting me a work permit unless I live already in the UK. I've been applying for a job in the UK for the last 2 years or so, and I've got two job offers on one condition that I get a work permit from the British Embassy, but that was not possible without a request from the employer.

I have read and heard a lot about the bad economy and so many Brits flocked to Dubai in the last couple of years in hopes of getting a job. However, I am sick of the mess and ignorance in the Arab region and I am seriously considering settling in the UK forever.

I thought a lot about it, I realized it's about time to achieve my ambitious goals in a developed country like the UK whatever the cost is.

Do you think my decision is wise?

Cheers,
Posted by:
tommykabbs

Postby ruggie » Sat 5 Feb 2011 20:13 GMT

I think you're wise to get out of the Middle East. How about hedging your bets and trying for a few other English-speaking countries in parallel with your efforts to go to the UK?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Repatriation