It is currently Mon 15 Jul 2019 23:01 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Repatriation

Leaving the Arab Region?

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Leaving the Arab Region?

Postby tommykabbs » Fri 4 Feb 2011 18:07 GMT

I've decided to leave the Arab lands, finally!

The plan is sometime late 2011.

I'm planning to spend my 1 month vacation in London.

I have a British Overseas Citizen passport but I don't have the right of abode which means I'm restricted to full-time work in the UK but I can go there for a visit without a visa and I can stay for a maximum period of 6 months and then exit then re-enter.

The plan is to spend this 1 month with hopes of getting an idea of what's it like living in the UK. I am planning on immigrating in fact, if I can find a decent part-time job or a PhD scholarship.

Getting a work permit or applying for a job from here is very very difficult. No company in the UK is interested in hiring a non UK/EU citizen or even helping in getting me a work permit unless I live already in the UK. I've been applying for a job in the UK for the last 2 years or so, and I've got two job offers on one condition that I get a work permit from the British Embassy, but that was not possible without a request from the employer.

I have read and heard a lot about the bad economy and so many Brits flocked to Dubai in the last couple of years in hopes of getting a job. However, I am sick of the mess and ignorance in the Arab region and I am seriously considering settling in the UK forever.

I thought a lot about it, I realized it's about time to achieve my ambitious goals in a developed country like the UK whatever the cost is.

Do you think my decision is wise?

Cheers,
Posted by:
tommykabbs

Postby ruggie » Sat 5 Feb 2011 20:13 GMT

I think you're wise to get out of the Middle East. How about hedging your bets and trying for a few other English-speaking countries in parallel with your efforts to go to the UK?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Repatriation