It is currently Tue 23 Jul 2019 02:39 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Repatriation

Consular assistance with repatriation?

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Consular assistance with repatriation?

Postby derekv » Fri 17 Jun 2011 04:10 GMT

hi everyone, I have a question regarding repatriation to the UK!
I currently reside in Dallas Tx and have been in the US for 11 years.
I lost my job due to the economy and my house ex-wife took everything else. now i have no form of income whatsoever and no desire to become a vagrant, will the UK consular services help to repatriate me back to the UK?
any help advice on this would be appreciated.

Derek
Posted by:
derekv

Postby Dave » Fri 17 Jun 2011 08:11 GMT

Hi. I've taken the liberty of changing the title of your post from "Repatriation" - since that's the title of the board, it didn't really give any information on what your post's about.

I think it's very unlikely that they'll give you any financial help, especially if you're still permitted to work in the US. In the first instance they'll suggest that you get in touch with relatives or friends in the UK who might be able to bear the cost (and help you to do this if you've got no means of doing it yourself). As I understand it, they don't release funds for repatriation except in dire emergency (major catastrophes like earthquakes, for example), and even then only against an Undertaking to Repay.

They may be able to give you some practical advice on repatriation, though probably only advice on who to contact on the more specific aspects of the overall process (eg NHS, Dept for Work & Pensions) - they'd expect you to do the bulk of the work yourself.

There's more information available in their leaflet Support for British nationals abroad (PDF file, 1.0 MB)

If you feel that doesn't cover your particular circumstances you could always ask them direct, though I doubt they'll tell you much different.

Sorry - that probably doesn't help you a great deal.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

hi, me too

Postby marknir » Fri 12 Oct 2012 03:18 GMT

I am finding myself in a similar situation, where you able to get any help?
Posted by:
marknir

Return to Repatriation