It is currently Thu 17 Oct 2019 10:04 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Repatriation

Perfidious Albion calls.

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Perfidious Albion calls.

Postby Trunkles » Wed 18 Jul 2012 10:38 GMT

Hi folks.

In 1998 I emigrated from Surbiton, as anyone intelligent would do. :lol: However, instead of moving somewhere sensible, like Cheam, I moved to New Zealand. The time has come (perhaps) for me to wend my way home 'cos I miss so many things. Joys like waiting for 3 buses to turn up at once, if at all, getting ripped off by British Rail and paying stupid prices for car insurance are all much missed. So, for that matter, are superb cheese, a decent pint, woods full of bluebells and architecture worthy of the name.

The complex bit is that I don't think I'm going to find it easy. When I left in 1998 I was a worker. Now I'm on an invalid benefit. My health issues are:
A nasty heart last November (lucky to be alive).
A small stroke last August.
Insulin dependent diabetes.
Failing eyesight in my right eye (I'll need a cataract op in a year or two).
Diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
Severe tinnitus.
And I'm probably Asperger's (going through the diag for that now).

So, does the team think I would:
be on a similar benefit there?
have trouble actually getting on a benefit?
have trouble finding somewhere to live?

I should point out that I'd arrive in the country with little more than loose change in my pocket, if that.

Thankies.

Simon.
Posted by:
Trunkles

Return to Repatriation