It is currently Thu 24 May 2018 02:34 GMT
Change font size

UK Legislation

Can I live/work in Ireland?

This forum is for all the aspects of UK law that may affect expats - tax, social security, health, pensions, citizenship etc.

Can I live/work in Ireland?

Postby DualMan » Sat 14 Jun 2014 19:57 GMT

Hello!

Second forum post in one evening!

I have a rather unique question to ask regarding my British passport. To cut a long story short I naturalised as a British citizen in the Channel Islands and because I don't have any family ties to the UK I have the following stamp in my passport:

holder is not entitled to benefit from European Community Provisions
relating to employment or establishment

What this means is that I can't live/work in the EU unless I spend 5yrs in the UK first (this removes this restriction). Technically I have what is called Islander Status:

http://www.gov.gg/article/2822/What-is-islander-status

The above makes sense to me but there is one question I am battling to find an answer to. I may at some stage want to live/work in the Republic of Ireland (NOT Northern Island).

So the question is, can I live/work in the Republic of Ireland despite this stamp in my passport?

After hours of research online I think the answer is yes because Ireland, the UK, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands form part of the Common Travel Area (CTA).

So can I live/work in Ireland or do I need a work permit?

I've contacted the Irish immigration officials but they haven't come back to me yet and its been months!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DualMan
Free member

Postby Dave » Sat 14 Jun 2014 23:20 GMT

I'm not a lawyer but, as far as I understand it, you're right - as a British Citizen (even an Islander) you're not regarded as a foreigner under Irish law. (And vice versa. Ireland's unique in being regarded under British law as neither a foreign country nor a Commonwealth one.)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to UK Legislation