It is currently Mon 22 Oct 2018 05:17 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go back at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go back an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 28 October.

UK Legislation

Kids citizenship

This forum is for all the aspects of UK law that may affect expats - tax, social security, health, pensions, citizenship etc.

Kids citizenship

Postby Pommydoris » Sun 24 Aug 2014 06:02 GMT

I am living in NZ and moved here 16yrs ago. Since then I have had three children who are now 6,12 and 14. They have nz passports and I am still on my uk one. My question is how do I get them British passports as now I am no longer with their father I feel it would be better to return home as I have no family support here. Do they automatically get passports on application? I tried to research but so much information out there. Thanks
Posted by:
Pommydoris

Postby Dave » Sun 24 Aug 2014 10:17 GMT

Hi, Pommydoris, and welcome. I've moved your topic from the Repatriation board as citizenship issues are covered here.

The answer is 'probably yes'. But the best place to check is the UK government website - they have a 'decision tree' type set of questions that should give you the answer for each of your children (the rules vary depending on whether the child was born before 1 July 2006).

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to UK Legislation