It is currently Mon 22 Oct 2018 05:30 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go back at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go back an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 28 October.

UK Legislation

UK Marriage -- US v. UK Divorce

This forum is for all the aspects of UK law that may affect expats - tax, social security, health, pensions, citizenship etc.

UK Marriage -- US v. UK Divorce

Postby Battersea » Fri 31 Aug 2007 16:44 GMT

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum but I have a legal question. If one is married in the UK and moves to the US and has the UK marriage accepted as legal, would a UK divorce be accepted as legal whilst living in the US?

Specifically, are US or UK divorces similar and/or take the same amount of time? I would like to pursue the fastest way that is seen as legal in the US.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Posted by:
Battersea

Postby Dave » Fri 31 Aug 2007 17:44 GMT

Hi, and welcome to the BE Fora.

Given that your question's specifically about the US, I think your query is probably better asked - and answered - on the US General board on our In-Country forum.

Having said that, it would be interesting to know what the legal position was more generally. My kneejerk reaction was that a divorce in the same jurisdiction as the marriage would automatically be valid. But then it struck me that not every country recognises divorces anyway - so it may not be quite as straightforward as all that.

Anyway, I'm locking this topic as it's country-specific. Please do feel free to repost on the US board; and if anyone has any more reliable information on the legal position on the validity of UK marriages and divorces in general, they should feel welcome to start a new topic. :)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to UK Legislation