It is currently Sat 20 Oct 2018 07:33 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Ghana – Quick Quiz
    The cradle of the Ashanti Empire and known to mediaeval European explorers as the Gold Coast, Ghana was the first country in Western Africa to achieve independence. But how much do you know about it?

UK Legislation

Divorce in the US

This forum is for all the aspects of UK law that may affect expats - tax, social security, health, pensions, citizenship etc.

Divorce in the US

Postby yokoono » Sun 14 Oct 2007 04:00 GMT

So I am sure someone has been here and it should be an easy answer. We have been permanent residents of the US for a whle and have decided to divorce. The divorce is runing through the US legal system and I have been advised that this will be a full and legal divorce in the eyes of the UK system. Has anyone done this and can they confirm?

Thanks!
Posted by:
yokoono

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sun 14 Oct 2007 05:18 GMT

Well, I was married in England, and divorced in the US. Not sure how much weight that carries back home. Full weight, I would assume.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

US Divorce recognised in UK

Postby macdonaldfraser » Thu 17 Jan 2008 12:04 GMT

Hi, I happen to be a Divorce lawyer qualified in the UK. Yes, a valid US Divorce will be recognised in the UK and indeed many other places. Big question is always, do you have a choice where to get Divorced (because it may greatly affect what you get out of the marriage in financial terms)
Posted by:
macdonaldfraser

Postby Kay » Thu 17 Jan 2008 13:19 GMT

Big question is always, do you have a choice where to get Divorced (because it may greatly affect what you get out of the marriage in financial terms)

The was an article in the Torygraph recently on this very subject, ie the importance of where you get the divorce because of the potential financial implications:

here

It's mainly about the EU rather than the US but it may be that the same principles apply. The advice is to get an English lawyer ASAP, and start procedings in England.

MF can you please confirm or refute the suggestion that divorcing in England might be preferable to, say, Scotland?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to UK Legislation