It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 19:19 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

UK Legislation

GB Driving Licence

This forum is for all the aspects of UK law that may affect expats - tax, social security, health, pensions, citizenship etc.

GB Driving Licence

Postby Dave » Sat 14 Mar 2009 18:49 GMT

From time to time people have asked on the various boards what they need to do about their British driving licence when they move overseas.

The answer given on the DirectGov website as of March 2009 is this:

If you move to another country, you should check with the driving licence authorities there for information about driving and exchange of licences. You don't need to notify DVLA of a change of address when moving to live abroad.

You can read more about the ins and outs on DirectGov's driver licensing pages.

PS - This applies to GB licences. We'll do a bit of digging for the information on NI licences and post it when we find it.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby pumabob » Fri 26 Feb 2010 07:38 GMT

This applies to GB licences. We'll do a bit of digging for the information on NI licences and post it when we find it.

NI licences are treated the exact same, although we have had the 10 year 'euro' style ones longer than mainland GB.

(In fact there are no GB / NI licences...renewals are now all UK)

Hope this helps.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby Dave » Fri 26 Feb 2010 13:58 GMT

Thanks, Pumabob :-D

(I hadn't realised that there was a unified driving licence throughout the UK now - shows how in touch I am. :roll: )
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby pumabob » Fri 26 Feb 2010 18:18 GMT

Should also point out that anyone still driving on the old (green) GB licence would be better off swapping it for a new one before leaving the UK.
When eventually due, the newer one will be much easier to renew.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby pboae » Mon 24 May 2010 23:04 GMT

Hello, and thank you for this useful information.

I have another question about driving licences. We will be moving abroad later this year, probably for at least a year or two, and I understand that I don't have to tell the DVLA that we have moved, or give them our new (foreign) address. But what happens when we come back to the UK for visits?

Can we still drive on our UK licences, e.g. a hire car, or drive a relative's car? As our UK licences will have our old UK address on them. We have a c/o UK address, and I suppose we could update them with that before we leave, but as we won't actually be living at that address here, I am not sure that is the right thing to do.

We won't be driving while we are abroad, so we won't have foreign licences.

Thank you for any help :-)
Posted by:
pboae

Postby pumabob » Wed 26 May 2010 22:53 GMT

pboae,
My driving licence has my old address on it and I have had no problems hiring cars in UK and Malta. So long as it is valid, the D/L number is what they are most interested in, especially when prepaid by credit card.
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby pboae » Wed 26 May 2010 23:14 GMT

Thanks pumabob, I suppose the car hire people wouldn't know either way. But is it legal? If you have an accident would the insurance be valid?
Posted by:
pboae

Postby dave dee » Thu 27 May 2010 13:55 GMT

I am a British national and resident of another European country and although i have a U/K address in my name, i have been told by my ex U/K motor insurance company that the only way i can drive legally and be covered in the U/K is through a hire car company. If you find different please let me know. :wink:
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Mon 21 Jun 2010 19:59 GMT

Problem solved. :roll:
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby pboae » Tue 22 Jun 2010 08:37 GMT

Sorry I forgot about this thread.

I haven't been able to find anything useful, DVLA said I couldn't drive any car in the UK on a UK licence, if it didn't have my permanent address on it. They said I could only hire a car if I used a licence issued from another country. But the person I spoke didn't sound very confident.
Posted by:
pboae

Return to UK Legislation