It is currently Thu 19 Sep 2019 20:50 GMT
Change font size

British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo

Bus passes for seniors

Many of our members are pensioners, so here's a place to discuss the relevant issues.

Bus passes for seniors

Postby cjallen » Fri 18 Apr 2008 12:20 GMT

Am I able to apply for a senior citizen's bus pass as a 61-year-old just arrived from the UK?
I would have thought it unlikely as I'm not a Maltese citizen, but an English lady living here said that I am.
If so, how can I apply (I've found nothing on the government website).
Posted by:
cjallen

Postby gozomark » Fri 18 Apr 2008 12:58 GMT

Hi and welcome to the forum

as an EU citizen, once you take up residency in Malta you are generally entitled to the same things as a Maltese person in the same situation, so it depends on the age a Maltese person would get it. I'd suggest popping into your local council office, or phoning Malta Transport Authority Freephone 80072393.

I'm not sure, but it maybe there isn't a senior citizen bus pass as such, as there is a senior citizen card called a "Karta Anzjan" - it maybe you just show that
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Bus Pass

Postby maryanne* » Fri 18 Apr 2008 21:25 GMT

Hi,
The Karta Anzjan, does act as a bus pass Mark is quite right. It also gets you free crossings on the ferry and 1 or 2 other little perks as well. You have to be 60 years young to qualify, to do this you need to be registered here. I got mine a few weeks after my I.D Card and didn't need to apply it was automatic, got to say that was quite a surprise, but you do need to have your residency here to get it.

Hope this helps.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maryanne*
Free member

Postby Mr Kriss » Tue 22 Apr 2008 20:55 GMT

Maryanne, did you mean residency or just the ID card? I refer here to the fact that residency application processing is still months/years behind, whereas the 'foreigners' ID card takes only two weeks.
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Bus passes

Postby maryanne* » Wed 23 Apr 2008 09:02 GMT

Hi Kriss, yep did mean the ID once I got that the other just followed
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
maryanne*
Free member

Postby cjallen » Sun 27 Apr 2008 11:32 GMT

Thanks for all your replies. I got my ID card last week, so will wait to see what happens. Rgds, CJ
Posted by:
cjallen

Return to British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo