It is currently Mon 23 Sep 2019 07:48 GMT
Change font size

State schools/education

Fees for San Anton , Chiswick House ?

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Fees for San Anton , Chiswick House ?

Postby mateo1 » Tue 16 Feb 2010 14:45 GMT

Hi
I'm trying to find out how expensive those schools are...is there any different price for kids from EU?

Thx.
Posted by:
mateo1

Postby pumabob » Tue 16 Feb 2010 20:34 GMT

Mateo1,
Look at the posting for St Martins College, it gives a website address which includes Chiswick House.
Click on admissions and fill in to receive forms, etc in the mail which would include the fees. (or phone if you are in Malta)

Doesn't seem to be different price scales for EU/non EU pupils. Everyone pays the same.

Can't help with San Anton.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby Eggs » Wed 17 Feb 2010 08:40 GMT

The Fees also scale on age of the children , along with some that have Foundation Fees and Registration Fees, Just make sure you get all the info not just the termly fee, if i remember correctly San Anton was approx €1000 per term (3 terms per year) for a 12 year old. They also had quite a hefty lump that went to the Foundation which apparently is refundable sometime up to 5 years after the child has left school (their words not mine).
===================
Rob Marna Harry Zara :P
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby limey_tim » Wed 17 Feb 2010 14:21 GMT

San Anton assured us the Foundation fee is refunded in the year after your youngest child leaves the school - I guess only time will tell. I will post our fees in a moment, when I can find them
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
limey_tim
Free member

Postby limey_tim » Wed 17 Feb 2010 14:24 GMT

Our San Anton fees (paid in January 2010)

€35/child non-refundable registration fee at time of registration

€1500 Parents Foundation contribution to be paid w/in one month of registration (this is per family and is a one time payment that you receive back after the last child has graduated or turned 16 if they leave San Anton b4 finishing at 16) OR

€400/year for 1st 3 years - non-refundable. Good if you're not sure you're going to be there until the end of their school years OR to help defray all the costs in the beginning. However, it does not get added toward the €1500 which you will have to pay in the 3rd year regardless.

Tuition is broken down by age. We pay:
Junior Sector 7-10yr olds is €842/term
Senior Sector 11-16yr olds is €1145/term

The term fees must be paid within the first couple weeks of the term.

Textbooks and uniforms are also extra and it depends on what you buy and for what grades and how many kids. But, I can always break it down more if needed/wanted.

Transportation if used is €148/term for grades 2-7 and €117/term for grades 8-12. You do NOT get a break for siblings so far as I can tell.

Don't know if you can pay in any more installments than that (like monthly for instance) but San Anton does seem to be flexible - it doesn't hurt to ask!! It is a lot of money to have to pay out all at once when you start!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
limey_tim
Free member

Fees San Anton

Postby AnwarFam » Fri 2 Apr 2010 21:00 GMT

Limey, Thank you very much for posting this information. Our son is 5 yrs old and will be entering Grade 3 in the fall. Can you explain the 400 euros for the first 3 years? Do you know the term costs for 5-7 yr olds? Finally, any information & costs for the uniforms would be greatly appreciated. Is there a website with the selections? We are arriving June 13 and plan to enroll our son in the Summer camp that starts in July, so I have a month to get everything together once we get there. Thank you in advance for all your help.
Posted by:
AnwarFam
Free member

Postby limey_tim » Thu 8 Apr 2010 08:33 GMT

Sorry for the delay in answering - I don't hang out in these forums very much any more.

400 Euro fee - ordinarily to enroll at San Anton and some if not all the other Private Schools you have to pay a refundable deposit, amounts vary but it's up to a couple of thousand euros. It's refundable the year after your youngest enrolled child reaches school leaving age - in our case it would be 8 years as our youngest is 8 yo. That is quite a burden for expats who may only be living in Malta for a couple of years (job assignment, change of mind etc), so rather than tying up all that money for that long you can instead opt to pay the €400 per year NON refundable fee - for up to 3 years. After 3 years you HAVE to switch and pay the refundable amount at the current rate. It's probably a good option if you are new to Malta and not committed to staying long term or want to keep schooling options open - it's what we did for our first year.

I don't know the term costs for 5-7 year olds - sorry. I imagine they would be in line with the 7-10, probably a tad cheaper.

Uniforms - I don't know if there is a website. I believe the company that sells the Uniforms has a monopoly and frankly it's a bit of a racket. Items are expensive. The schools will give you an extensive list of all the items they say you need and it will come to hundreds of Euros if you buy them all. What most of the people that we have spoken to do is buy the minimum necessary, but it large if you can so it lasts longer and supplement with cheaper versions bought elsewhere. Your child will get told they are wearing the wrong thing from time to time, but it's not like they will expel you child for wearing socks with an adidas logo rather than the official ones..so long as it's not egregious...just try and be sensible - in winter when they wear jumpers, no-one can see the tiny school logo on the white shirt under the jumper, so buy cheap plain white shirts instead! Buy only for the upcoming season - not the whole year up-front.

Good luck!

Tim
Posted by:
limey_tim
Free member

San Anton

Postby AnwarFam » Sun 11 Apr 2010 16:26 GMT

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your response. The information was very helpful. We are moving there June 13 and we are planning to enroll our son for their Summer Camp program in July. Looking forward to getting there and getting settled, making new friends and beginning our new family adventure.
Posted by:
AnwarFam
Free member

Postby skyplusplus » Sat 29 Mar 2014 20:00 GMT

Hi,

4 years down the road, i was wondering how things are doing. are your children still at San Anton. Is there anything that you would like to share about your experience of this school?

I have a 5 year old boy and i'm thinking of registering him in this school.
Posted by:
skyplusplus

Return to State schools/education