It is currently Wed 17 Jul 2019 01:06 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

State schools/education

University of Malta

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

University of Malta

Postby Boreas » Tue 21 Dec 2010 17:40 GMT

Hi all,

I'm considering applying for entry to the University in the 2011/2012 academic year (for a history degree) and would really like to hear from some current or former students. Has anyone attended the University of Malta as a mature student? I'll be 37 at the time and just want to get a feeling of what to expect.

As you might expect I don't speak any Maltese, I know the instruction is in English but will this be a problem in everyday life?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info you can give.
Posted by:
Boreas

Uni

Postby Pippin » Sun 6 Mar 2011 22:09 GMT

Once you enter University there is no problem if you do not know Maltese at University. All students and lecturers speak English. Of course, sometimes they might switch by mistake, you'll just have to point it out politely if that happens. But really I don't think there is a problem. Of course most students are much younger than you, so you will have a different outlook, but mature students have made it through University too. So good luck, and enjoy.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Pippin
Free member

Postby hulstons » Mon 7 Mar 2011 16:51 GMT

I have applied for the Midwifery degree, which starts in October. But I think I am going to struggle to find after school clubs or childcare. Does anyone know what university hours are? Do they mimic the school hours?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
hulstons
Free member

Postby Pippin » Tue 8 Mar 2011 06:14 GMT

In theory University is open from 8am till 8pm. In practice in the vast majority of courses lectures are till 5pm, and you might not have lectures or hospital placements at all around 5 as most are in the morning or early afternoon.

There is a childcare facility at University but only for young children, below age 4 (and if anyone is using that one, they need to book ahead to find availability). There are several facilities now that offer childcare for this age range. In summer though they offer a good programme for children younger than 11.

During the scholastic year the situation gets more complicated for older children as there are fewer options. There are two centres called Klabb 3-16 for children up to 16, one in B'Kara and the other in Fgura. You'll find details here
http://www.fes.org.mt/Klabb3-16/klabb316_home.html

San Andrea school offer an after school programme. I know children from San Anton school who also go:
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi ... rea-school

It is also possible to get a baby-sitter/housekeeper at a reasonable price.

Getting back to the original question on language, in Midwifery I assume you will have placements in hospital where some patients will speak mainly Maltese, and most people would speak Maltese on the workplace, but other foreign students manage, so it is not something that should discourage you. Just be aware of it.
Posted by:
Pippin
Free member

Thankyou, just what I needed!

Postby hulstons » Tue 8 Mar 2011 07:19 GMT

Thankyou Pippin! Its looks more possible now for me to start my course. I never realised how lucky I am in England to have childcare facilities so that I can go to work. I like the idea of a childminder/ housekeeper- its just a trust issue for me as I have always left the children with family members or childminders that have CRB clearance.

I think I may have to start in Oct 2012, Im maybe being unrealistic that I can move to a new country, sort schools out and start uni within two weeks. I am worrying about how the children will settle too :-(

I intend on starting a Maltese language course and my family and I have already started on the basics. I do not believe in moving to a different country and making no attempt to learn the language. It's just plain rude :D
Posted by:
hulstons
Free member

Re: Thankyou, just what I needed!

Postby gozomark » Tue 8 Mar 2011 09:51 GMT

hulstons wrote: I do not believe in moving to a different country and making no attempt to learn the language. It's just plain rude :D

Thats a very valid point, but bear in mind both English and Maltese are official languages in Malta - for example all government documentation has to be in both languages.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to State schools/education