It is currently Fri 13 Dec 2019 03:33 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo

English pensioners in Malta

Many of our members are pensioners, so here's a place to discuss the relevant issues.

English pensioners in Malta

Postby Red » Sun 25 Sep 2011 11:22 GMT

Can anyone remember what rights English pensioners had in respect of Maltese NHS before Malta joined the EU ? The reason I ask is, I was chatting to someone married to a Gozitan, and she happened to remark that she though Malta would leave the EU in the not too distant future as the EU was finished and had nothing more to offer. This got me thinking about the petitions being run by one of the national newspapers at the moment in the UK, for a referendum on leaving the EU. I have seen many comments on line too, which favour electing UKIP for just this purpose.

I wonder if there would be mass repatriation of those who couldn't afford a private health care ?

Red
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sun 25 Sep 2011 12:28 GMT

Before Kay bites you, I presume you mean British :-)

There is still a bilateral health agreement between Malta and UK, which pre-dates the EU - if anything if Malta left the EU this is more likely to remain than if Malta stayed in the EU.

ps I'm happy to bet Malta won't leave the EU in my lifetime.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Red » Sun 25 Sep 2011 15:11 GMT

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, but seeing how I have English, Irish Scottish and Welsh roots, I consider myself a true Celt! (I hope that hasn't offended anyone).

Glad to know that at least, pensioners will be OK as far as free health care is concerned. I agree with you, I don't think Malta will leave the EU by choice anytime soon, especially while they are getting 85% funding for so many of their projects.

I'm not as confident about the UK though, which begs the question, how will it effect UK state retirement pensions paid to expats? will they be frozen, as those paid to expats outside the EU are? We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Red
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Mon 26 Sep 2011 01:31 GMT

I don't think the UK will be leaving the EU either, unless the whole thing falls apart and Germany, France pull out first which is unlikely.
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby Red » Mon 26 Sep 2011 14:55 GMT

You Think!? I do hope you're right, but if the great number letters to the british press are to be believed, if the UK don't withdraw from the EU anytime soon, the majority will elect one of the more far right parties, most of the public appear to have lost faith in the LibLabCon.

Red
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Mon 26 Mar 2012 11:03 GMT

The E.U. is like the Hotel California, you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby john07900 » Tue 27 Mar 2012 18:35 GMT

He who wishes to exert a useful influence must be careful to insult nothing. Let him not be troubled by what seems absurd, but concentrate his energies to the creation of what is good. He must not demolish, but build. He must raise temples where mankind may come and partake of the purest pleasure.

In other words Mr Red sir, try avoiding the Daily Mail & The Express
Posted by:
john07900
Supporter

Postby john07900 » Tue 27 Mar 2012 18:37 GMT

Mirrors on the ceiling then Dave?
Posted by:
john07900
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Tue 27 Mar 2012 19:47 GMT

Correct John. That's the one.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 27 Mar 2012 19:53 GMT

john07900 wrote:Mirrors on the ceiling then Dave?

daily or sunday ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby john07900 » Wed 28 Mar 2012 07:57 GMT

You need to get out more Mark
Posted by:
john07900
Supporter

Postby IandM » Tue 2 Oct 2012 09:06 GMT

I would like to mention a couple of points here relative to the first three posts.

First, if you have paid the required number of NICs in the UK you can apply for form S1 which will, as a retiree, give you the basic healthcare coverage offered to the citizens of the EU country in which you now live (NB-that coverage may not be the same as in the UK). As a retiree that basic coverage should be free. I called the Overseas Branch of the DWP in Newcastle, who are always knowledgeable and helpful, applied over the 'phone and received the documents a few days later. Processing can take a while.

Second, I discovered the S1 "route" on this forum; neither the UK or French authorities told me about it on my reaching retirement age. As a French resident (currently) paying French taxes and covered for healthcare under the CMU system here, I am obliged to pay a percentage based on taxable income to benefit for that cover. Under the S1 system health cover is free.

So I am grateful to this forum for giving me the lead to S1. The money I will save by not having to pay CMU contributions will pay for my premium membership for years !
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
IandM
Free member

Postby john07900 » Tue 2 Oct 2012 09:20 GMT

Under the S1 system health cover is free

Not free but more like on equal status as a Maltese Citizen

PS Don't mention you have saved some money from this Forum, otherwise Mark will be along any moment to ask you for a small contribution
Posted by:
john07900
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 2 Oct 2012 09:22 GMT

:-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Tue 2 Oct 2012 10:19 GMT

First, if you have paid the required number of NICs in the UK you can apply for form S1 which will, as a retiree, give you the basic healthcare coverage offered to the citizens of the EU country in which you now live (NB-that coverage may not be the same as in the UK). As a retiree that basic coverage should be free.

Free, that would be pre paid by contributions or do all British pensioners qualify ? i.e. one who hasn't paid the required number of NICs.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Next

Return to British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo