It is currently Mon 18 Nov 2019 14:08 GMT
Change font size

Money matters

Pension Help

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Pension Help

Postby johnTW » Sun 9 Oct 2011 13:55 GMT

Hi Everyone..

My mother and Father moved over to Malta 10 years ago and are now moving in to retirement swiftly. I have searched through the forum for advice or the details of a good financial advisor in Malta but struggled to find anybody. I am looking for someone who knows the UK market who they could meet with in Malta. They really need some advice on whats best to do with their private pensions. They have spent so much time on the phone to the UK pension providers but the advice given seems very conflicting. If anyone can point me in the right direction or help I would be incredibly grateful.

Best regards,

John
Posted by:
johnTW

Postby JJ » Sun 9 Oct 2011 14:13 GMT

Welcome to the forum. To clarify your question, you're looking for a Malta based financial adviser who knows the UK market - in the context of your parents returning to the UK or remaining in Malta? In other words do they also require knowledge of pensions for ex-pats? It's a tricky one because, as you've found, it's hard enough to get good information on UK pensions in the UK let alone abroad.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby johnTW » Wed 12 Oct 2011 10:44 GMT

Hi JJ,

Thanks for your reply. My parents want to remain in Malta. I know it's tricky, my sister lives in Malta too and has searched on their behalf as well but no luck so far! I was hoping I may have some joy on here. I was hoping their may be an ex pat out there who could help them who has a financial background and does some freelance work on the side. If I have any joy I will pass the info on.

John
Posted by:
johnTW

Postby chris green » Thu 13 Oct 2011 06:32 GMT

John,

I urge you not to step outside the protection of the UK Financial Services Authority (FSA) in seeking advice for your parents UK based private pensions.

Secure advice might require a visit to the UK for them to meet with a financial adviser.

The result of this may well be a range of choices and ultimately your parents will have to make some decisions but they will remain within a framework which guards against fraud. :mrgreen:
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 13 Oct 2011 07:52 GMT

Completely agree Chris - "I was hoping their may be an ex pat out there who could help them who has a financial background and does some freelance work on the side" would provide no backup if bad advice (even if well intentioned) was provided
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Money matters