It is currently Sat 14 Dec 2019 07:02 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Health & Medical

Medicine

Let's hope you'll feel better when you've looked in here!

Medicine

Postby walshie » Thu 9 Sep 2004 20:56 GMT

Hi Carrington
Wondered if you could help, just sending off our expression of interest forms and trying to be one step ahead of the game. I have epilepsy and an underactive thyroid. I am wondering if you could possibly find out the price of my tablets. I am on topirimate or it could be called topirimax and thyroxine. I want to be able to tell the doctors that I am well controlled and I even know how much it will cost my insurance if they allowed us to live in NZ.
Thanks in advance!
Walshie xx
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
walshie
Free member

Postby Carrington » Mon 13 Sep 2004 01:25 GMT

Hi Walshie - well, basically if you belong to the commonwealth there are some reciprocal arrangements between governments. With the medical side of things, you would still be paying the same as everyone else who is not on a benefit of any kind and this means $15nz per item. You cannot buy prescription drugs over the counter - you must have a prescription from a doctor here and that will cost around $45 per consultation. Long term medication is prescribed for three months at a time so it would only be $15 for a three month supply. After that, you just request a new script and the charge for that is generally about $15 to $20. I checked out those items - thyroxine is readily available but the other is not one known by the pharmacy and maybe under another name.
Another point is that some medications are not subsidised by the government and they would cost you quite abit more, also depends on their strength.
Hope this helps - if you need more info just feel free to ask.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Carrington
Free member

Postby Purley » Mon 13 Sep 2004 01:31 GMT

I was interested in this post because we have been having lots of discussions about health care and medication costs etc. in Canada.

How it works here is that you can go to the doctor's for free - well the government pays but it obviously comes out of taxes! Then the same as NZ some medications are covered by the Saskatchewan Drug Plan but apparently if you need a certain medication to stay alive but you cannot afford it - maybe its just outrageously expensive or maybe you don't have a high enough income, then your doctor can request that the government pay for your medication. It has a special name - I forget what it is - critical something or other.

However, if you don't need the medication to stay alive, then you don't get it paid for. My friend was prescribed medication for her arthritis but it was too expensive and so she just didn't fill the prescription.

Interesting how things work differently in different countries.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Medicine

Postby walshie » Thu 23 Sep 2004 08:43 GMT

Hi All

Got in touch with NZ Epilepsy and they found my tablets, phew! Going to look into the costs of paying private for my medical care. Hopefully then I wont fail the medical as I won't be costing the NZ government anything, as I will be paying for all my tablets. I won't be doing this though if it is very expensive!

Walshie xx
Posted by:
walshie
Free member

Postby Carrington » Fri 24 Sep 2004 04:44 GMT

There are several medical systems like Southern Cross - you pay so much per month and then get the ops and treatment when you need them. Not sure about existing conditions - probably will have to pay a surcharge. I think these schemes are like medical insurance plans and would be better for you than going private.
Posted by:
Carrington
Free member

Return to Health & Medical