It is currently Tue 16 Jul 2019 21:05 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Which area?

Hamilton

North Island or South Island? Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, or somewhere off the beaten track? So many choices... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Hamilton

Postby fennyflyer » Tue 8 Nov 2005 13:30 GMT

Moving there mid January. Can anyone give me a rundown on the city and its suburbs? For renting, which are the suburbs to aim for/avoid?
Posted by:
fennyflyer

Postby harlowfamily » Thu 10 Nov 2005 21:57 GMT

Hamilton is a small city ( same size as a large English town). Has a beautiful river running through the centre. Museum, cinemas, theatres, leisure centres and gyms, big hospital, shopping malls etc.
I like it as it central for exploring North Island and not as expensive as Auckland. The weather can be a bit foggy in Winter. We live at Raglan which is a great beach resort just 40 mins away from Hamilton.
Renting - there are no real problem areas but some areas like Frankton, Fairfield etc a bit poorer. Depends on where you are working and if you have children and need to consider school zones. I do have contacts with rental agents etc if you need help or the local Waikato Times newspaper publishes ads for rentals. I'd suggest staying in a motel for a couple of days whilst you have a look around.
God luck
Alison
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
harlowfamily
Free member

Hamilton

Postby marl1b » Wed 7 Dec 2005 16:10 GMT

We are still in the process of moving to Hamilton. My husband is already there but I am in the UK still trying to sell the house.

The Harlows have been really brilliant and helped us loads.

My husband works in Hamilton and rents there. Like the Harlow's say its best to start in a Motel. We also have a dog so have some experience of exporting him too.

I visited NZ in July. The people in and around Hamilton were all great. the real estate is a little strange in that one consultant deals with certain properties with little overlap between colleagues. So unlike the UK where one office deals with all properties in NZ one consultant has their own protfolio. [Advert removed] is an interesting rela estate website.

Anything else we can help with let us know.
regards
M
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
marl1b
Free member

Moving to Hamilton in October !!!

Postby SamT » Wed 12 Mar 2008 17:06 GMT

Hi

Myself and my husband with our two girls (4 +2) are moving to Hamilton in October. We've got our visas; sold the house; furniture being shipped end of April - we're all ready to go.....

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated please....

We are thinking of moving to Cambridge/Leamington areas although would definitely consider Hamilton surburbs. Main priority is schooling for the girls.... Any thoughts/comments on the areas?

Neither of us have jobs to go to, my husband is in the financial world so he should be able to get a job fairly easily. I'm not concerned about working in the immediate future, although will look to get a part time job at some point - maybe !!!

Thanks
Sam
Posted by:
SamT

Return to Which area?