It is currently Mon 15 Jul 2019 22:18 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Which area?

Tauranga

North Island or South Island? Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, or somewhere off the beaten track? So many choices... why not post here and discuss the options with others?

Tauranga

Postby dorsetbaby » Fri 11 May 2007 13:00 GMT

We are hoping to be on our way to Tauranga in the couple of months or so. My hubby has a job as a boat builder. He will be earning $25 an hour to start with, 25 days holiday a year and insurance. We believe this is a good deal. What I want to know is are we going to have a good life on this money. As I do not want to struggle. Here in the UK he earns £40,000 a year and we have a nice life. It will be us and 3 of our children moving out there. Then hopefully our eldest daughter and her family will be joining us. We should have about $200,000 to take with us. Do you think we will be able to have a good life on this money?
Posted by:
dorsetbaby

Tauranga

Postby xpongo » Mon 28 Apr 2008 04:43 GMT

I am an xww2 army serviceman and X Marine Engineer,have lived in Newzealand sincs 1957,mainly on Aucklands north shore and approx 7 years in Tauranga. I love Tauranga and NZ. Tauranga is a very nice place
to live but very expensive. The average house price depends on the area you live,and i live in Papamoa approx 25 kls to the main city. the average house price is around $NZ 400-450.000. Tauranga is noted for being one of the lowest hourly paying area;s in Nz,but is slowly beginning to come in line with bigger area's like Auckland. Your 40.000 pounds would equate to approx $108.000, which should give you a reasonable start towards buying
a home, however you will still have a lot of work and saving ahead of you
especially with a young family. But please dont be put off by me!! NZ is a great place to live and bring up a family!! Should you wish for any further info please don't hesitate to ask.
Best Wishes
Posted by:
xpongo

Tauranga

Postby xpongo » Mon 28 Apr 2008 06:58 GMT

Hi there, reading back i made a boo-boo!! I should have said your 40,000
pounds equates to approx $108.000 and $25 an hour at 40hours per week
would only give you $52.000 per year!! Your 200.000 pounds would be approx $540.000 which would buy you a freehold house and leave money in the bank,so it really depends on the cost of living difference.
Should you wish me to send you the cost of basic food item's ? If so please send me a list and i will send you the equivelent costs here.
Cheers
Jim
Posted by:
xpongo

Postby dusty » Mon 28 Apr 2008 11:52 GMT

Hi, Hope you don't mind me asking, but could you post a new thread about the cost of food and maybe some other items that we all use everyday. :?: It would be good to see the cost of food, petrol, parking and such. :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
dusty
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 28 Apr 2008 18:48 GMT

Great idea about the cost of living thread, Dusty. Maybe best to post it on the Money Matters board. That would help people coming after and looking for the same info, many thanks. 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Which area?