It is currently Wed 11 Dec 2019 08:51 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Chinwags

Could you cut it as a courtier?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

Could you cut it as a courtier?

Postby Kay » Wed 8 Jun 2016 11:31 GMT

The BBC has a fun quiz to find out if you'd pass muster at the Court of Lois XIV.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zgfm39q

I managed only 4/8 and thus would have been banished to social obscurity. Have a go and tell us how you get on. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Could you cut it as a courtier?

Postby Dave » Sun 12 Jun 2016 08:21 GMT

You did better than I did, Kay - I only managed 3/8. I'd like to think that was because I'm not one of Nature's fawners and scrapers, but it's probably just social ineptitude. :roll:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 30 Jun 2016 16:02 GMT

3/8. But no-one in their right mind who had any social pretences would go to an unfamiliar court without mugging up on the etiquette first... Then deliberately go against it if he wanted to.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 1 Jul 2016 09:06 GMT

I think the quiz was devised as a way to plug the new drama series "Versailles". That reminds me, tonight's the last chance to watch it on iPlayer.

I wasn't sure if I fancied it or not, but we might as well have a look before the opportunity is lost.

Am I right in thinking iPlayer isn't available outside the UK?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sun 3 Jul 2016 19:59 GMT

iPlayer streaming and downloads are not available outside UK, but BBC says you can replay your download wherever you like. This raises the question of whether a UK resident could forward an iPlayer download file to someone outside the UK (I presume that they'd still have to download and install the iPlayer app while in the UK, though). The answer is probably 'no', because I imagine the file would be tagged with the ID of the instance of the iPlayer app that downloaded it...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 5 Jul 2016 07:17 GMT

Oh well, you're not missing much. All the good stuff can be bought as DVDs or downloaded via Amazon either Prime or instant video. Plus the Beeb tend to cancel future production of anything good, eg Dickensian. There's quite a lot going on at Netflix too. So you can get access to the best without getting it directly from BBC.

We've had a TV licence for the last few months but not had an aerial so we can't get live TV. Can't say we've missed it. That said, we didn't have it for decades before.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Chinwags