It is currently Thu 12 Dec 2019 14:39 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Chinwags

Just curious - how did you find this forum?

Talk about the weather, make new friends, comment on anything, pop in to say "hello". [Please DO NOT post country-specific questions here - they belong on the relevant country forum in the In-Country Experts Forum.]

How did you find this forum?

I was already a BE visitor/contributor
9%
I found it via a search engine
71%
A friend told me about it
11%
Other. (Why not post and tell us about it?)
9%

Total votes : 76

Just curious - how did you find this forum?

Postby Kay » Tue 6 May 2003 21:14 GMT

Hi All

It's great to see all these new members here. I was just curious about how you found us. If you have a spare minute or two, please tell! And I've set up a poll for fun too.

Thanks

Kay 8)
Last edited by Kay on Sat 16 Oct 2004 11:08 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Fri 9 May 2003 17:08 GMT

I was spammed mercilessly by the Webmistress, until eventually, for a quiet life, I capitulated. :wink:
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Mon 26 May 2003 18:01 GMT

Which begs the question: how did you both meet in the first place? Don't tell me you both carry copies of a photo of a pair o' bairns on the quay at Peterhead, callin' out tae the trawler man: 'Fit like, skipper?'
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 26 May 2003 19:16 GMT

how did you both meet in the first place?

Nice one Mike (K-H)

There are two answers. One for meeting in cyberspace and another in real life.

I first met Mike Clark on the Internet on a site where people used to hang out and post opinions. We got paid a penny or two for it, nothing really, but the main reason was that there was a friendly crowd there where people used to "meet" and have a bit of social interaction. As with many sites, the admin got a bit messed up and many people left. Before it all went pear-shaped, I emailed Mike about gardening things a couple of times and we became friends. I then asked him to become BE's gardening columnist. Meanwhile, Hajo was also around and when I started to discuss places like Kurdistan (where I worked for two years) with him, he too came on board.

There's more to tell. I'd like to tell you about how I met Mike in real life in London, but I'd like his approval first. And then, he might even tell you how he came to meet Hajo in Scotland!

Thanks for asking this, and I hope to have the chance to meet you sometime too and some of our other friends here. :D

Kay
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 22 Feb 2004 08:09 GMT

[bump]
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 16 Oct 2004 11:08 GMT

[bump again as we've had a lot of new people since February. I'll make it a sticky.]
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby laymon » Sat 16 Oct 2004 11:23 GMT

Search engine, whilst I was researching our move to canada, I've been reading the website for a while, but only just realised there is a forum :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
laymon
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 16 Oct 2004 12:06 GMT

That's interesting - and very unusual! Most people on here seem to forget we have a website! :lol: :twisted:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby RPG_Jssmfulhud » Sun 17 Oct 2004 08:15 GMT

Canada, Canada, Canada forums, Canadian forums, Canada.......... That was everything I wanted. Some info on immigrating in Canada.

Google is my friend, led me directly to the forums, when they were still in 'one piece'. :)
Posted by:
RPG_Jssmfulhud
Free member

Postby johnnyc » Sun 17 Oct 2004 08:23 GMT

laymon wrote:Search engine, whilst I was researching our move to canada,

Ditto, I was doing the same last Feb and stumbled across the site,have been a visitor ever since :D
Posted by:
johnnyc
Free member

Postby Kay » Sun 17 Oct 2004 10:36 GMT

Great stuff!

Thanks for your replies, folks. Canada is obviously a very popular choice!

Kay :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Tue 19 Oct 2004 18:22 GMT

No idea how or why (although it might say on one of my first posts i suppose if they are still there). I don't even know if it was deliberate or not. Sorry, helpful as always me.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Kay » Tue 19 Oct 2004 19:09 GMT

Hi Rich

I think you were looking for British expats in Sweden - not that we had any before you. Then you found the forum and you and Squiffy posted so many jokes that I created the House of Fun to try to contain you. :twisted:

I was struggling to meet a deadline for an MSc assignment at the time and kept getting distracted by you both. So I made you moderators of the new joke board, in an attempt to get me some peace. Fat chance! The rest is history. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The forum was a lot different in those days, and I think it was you who came up with the name "Chinwags" for the board we still have. (It used to be called Expat Chat but that caused too much confusion for newbies as they thought it was our Chat Room.)

Fitivver, it's good to have you back, mate.

Kay 8)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Purley » Tue 19 Oct 2004 19:52 GMT

I can't remember when it was. Maureen (Carrington) and I were posting on Britworld when there was a load of trouble caused by one Brigie Darling and the board closed down for a while.

Maureen's son found this board and directed us to us and we have been here ever since.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Graeme » Wed 20 Oct 2004 04:55 GMT

I was just cruising the web and stumbled across the board. This is the only expat web site I visit as the others tend to be a bit miserable. This one is nice and friendly, so I like it here.
:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chinwags