It is currently Mon 18 Nov 2019 12:25 GMT
Change font size

Opinions/Politics

Drunk Drivers Shot in Turkey?

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Drunk Drivers Shot in Turkey?

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 28 Mar 2006 00:23 GMT

I know I should really know better, but I'm on a forum at the moment where some guy is claiming that drunk drivers are summarily shot in Turkey.

I was going to ask this on the Turkey board, but it seems pretty quiet over there. I thought I may have more chance of coming across someone with actual knowledge (rather than American xenophobia). Anybody know some facts?

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Dave » Tue 28 Mar 2006 04:34 GMT

Oh dear... :roll: I fear you'll have your work cut out, Alan - it's very difficult to prove a negative, especially to someone who's determined to hang onto their prejudices.

However, I think the absence of any stories on BBC News is a pretty good indicator. CNN doesn't have any either. Likewise the Amnesty International report for 2005 mentions no summary shootings of drunk drivers by Turkish police - in fact, Turkey abolished the death penalty (presumably as part of its preparations for EU accession negotiations, which require human rights commitments). The State Department's human rights report mentions several dozen arbitrary killings by security forces, but mostly in the south-east, where the PKK are insurgent - none in connection with drunk driving. Their consular advice doesn't contain any advice about not drinking and driving - in fact the only mention of alcohol is that tourists' drinks are sometimes spiked to facilitate robbery. (I tried to look up the FCO travel advice, but their site was down :roll:

A Google (sorry) search for ["drunk driver" summarily shot police Turkish] turned up 120 results. None of them referred to Turkish police summarily shooting drunk drivers.

Can your correspondent produce any documentary evidence that Turkish police do shoot drunk drivers? I'll be interested to hear. :twisted:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue 28 Mar 2006 04:51 GMT

The FCO travel advice is now back online again. Here's what they say about what the police do to drunk drivers:

Do not drink and drive. The Police will breathalyse drunk drivers, fine them on the spot (currently 340 New Turkish Lira) and immediately confiscate their licence for six months.

Hardly a bullet between the eyes, is it? :lol:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Tue 28 Mar 2006 05:24 GMT

You know Alan as this is a country specific question I should really lock it :twisted:

I've been working a lot with the local gendarmes this past year and collared 5 drunk drivers on my own and helped with a further 7. Sometimes I think a stiffer punishment would be in order, but a bullet? That might be a bit much. The legal system has as tough time imposing driving license bans for drunk drivers, I don't think they'd let us shoot them, course it could be worth asking :wink:

And before I go off topic, I've never heard of that punishment for drunk driving in Turkey either.

Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 28 Mar 2006 05:54 GMT

I actually found the relevant Turkish Penal Code:

The State Roads Traffic Code. This code basically regulates general traffic rules. Article 48 of this code prohibits driving while intoxicated by drugs or alcohol. Th code does not allow any amount of drug-related intoxication while driving. However, blood alcohol content (or concentration)(BAC) for drivers must be less than .5 which means .5 grams of alcohol in one liter of blood. For the drivers who operate a public transportation vehicle (i.e. bus, taxi, etc) BAC has to be zero. The code prohibits driving over that limit. The punishment for first-time offenders who drive while intoxicated by alcohol is a fine and suspension of their driver license for a month. For second-time offenders, there are additional fines and two years suspension of their driving license. For the third offence, the code requires suspension of the driver license for five years and imprisonment up to two months. After that five-year period, only a driver who passes a psychological test, which measures his/her appropriateness to drive again, resumes driving.

As you say Dave, hardly a bullet between the eyes :roll: .

Can your correspondent produce any documentary evidence that Turkish police do shoot drunk drivers? I'll be interested to hear

Of course not Dave. Just another xenophobe illustrating how backward and savage any other country is in the world because it's not the US :roll: . They never let a little thing like facts get in the way of their message do they. I know, I really should know better and not rise to it...
It all started with a guy moaning about the $509 speeding ticket he just got for doing 96 in a 70. As usual someone else piped up with the usual: "it could be worse if you didn't live here. We're the richest country in the world ("in the world", my favourite saying :twisted:) so we can afford it. Other countries get it much worse, if you get a DUI in Turkey, you get shot on the spot - that's the law."

Really, if this sort of thing wasn't so unnerving, it would be quite funny :roll: .

Of course, if I have the temerity to question these "facts", people take note of my avatar Image and I get a load of racist abuse and invitations to go home.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Trev » Tue 28 Mar 2006 13:34 GMT

Tell us all where the forum is Alan, we can then come in and support you :lol:
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 28 Mar 2006 17:42 GMT

TopCat wrote:Tell us all where the forum is Alan, we can then come in and support you :lol:

It's the Georgia sportbike forum. They seem to have moved on, accepted the myth as fact and ignored (or more likely just didn't get), my request to have a glass of whatever that guy was on when he came up with the Turkey thing.

I try to limit my involvement with forums because of exactly this type of thing. It just really gets my goat when they:
    Assume that for the Internet read America - there's no-one else on it, and if they are, they're just interlopers.

So blatantly insult other countries or propagate pure nonsense about them and never even think/care that people from those countries are able to read it.

On the one hand, display such unnerving, zealous patriotism yet if someone from another country gets their patriotic sensibilities offended, they can expect a huge tirade of racial abuse and the usual "speaking German, blah, blah, blah...", "Saved your butt, blah, blah, blah..." bullcrap.

I used to belong to another motorcycle forum for many years, until one day I came to the defence of some country (I can't remember which one it was), that they were so blatantly denigrating. I corrected a couple of the myths and mentioned that there may be somebody from that country on the forum and how would they like to hear things like that about theirs. Aren't they allowed to be proud of their country too? I received such a tirade of racial abuse (backed up by the forum moderators) that I haven't been back there since.

Anyhoo, this is turning a bit "opinions/politics" so I may go and see if I can move it over there. Somehow it doesn't belong in Chinwags any more :oops:

Alan.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Trev » Thu 30 Mar 2006 14:23 GMT

They seem to have a problem Alan -

There seems to have been a slight problem with the Georgia Sportbike Forums database.

Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 30 Mar 2006 16:47 GMT

Yes, that happens every now and again. It comes and goes.

Alan.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby justajester » Thu 30 Mar 2006 23:07 GMT

I don't think they'd let us shoot them, course it could be worth asking

Graeme, I suggest you shoot then ask if you were allowed to do it. Remember, it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission :wink:
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 30 Mar 2006 23:14 GMT

justajester2006 wrote:Graeme, I suggest you shoot then ask if you were allowed to do it. Remember, it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission :wink:

Ah, the American way...
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu 6 Apr 2006 15:35 GMT

I like the old maxim:

If it’s the tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?

Alan
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Alan-LaCala
Free member

Postby Lottie5 » Wed 23 May 2007 14:57 GMT

Two of my morals find themselves at war here: an imbedded hatred of drink driving, against a dislike of the death penalty. however, i must concede that shooting drink drivers still seems harsh :p
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Lottie5
Free member

Return to Opinions/Politics