It is currently Tue 10 Dec 2019 16:02 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Sports

You Are The Ref

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

You Are The Ref

Postby Dave » Tue 21 Oct 2008 16:22 GMT

Remember the "You Are The Ref" illustrated quiz from when you were a kid, posing all kinds of bizarre and unlikely footballing situations and challenging you to come up with the answer?

(In my day it was in Shoot!, with Clive Thomas... but apparently it had been going for about 20 years before that. :lol:)

Anyway, it's currently online on the Guardian's website. The questions are just as tough as they used to be, and they've even got the same illustrator as they had back in the 1950s when it started - Paul Trevillion, who's now in his eighties. But thankfully they don't have Clive "Blow for full time while the ball's in the air en route to the back of the net" Thomas any more - it's Keith Hackett.

You're allowed to post your own thoughts on the solutions too - the answers don't appear until about two days after the picture strip each time. (There are two a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays.) Some of the comments can be very entertaining!

Well worth a visit if you liked the original, or if you fancy yourself as knowing the Laws of the Game inside out. :twisted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/youaretheref
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby kendalcottages » Tue 5 Jan 2010 15:39 GMT

I don't remember the original but this does sound fun. Unfortunately the link didn't work for me.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
kendalcottages
Free member

Postby kendalcottages » Tue 5 Jan 2010 15:39 GMT

Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
kendalcottages
Free member

Postby Dave » Tue 5 Jan 2010 17:09 GMT

Thanks for the update, Paul. :-)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby kendalcottages » Tue 5 Jan 2010 17:36 GMT

I looked at the current 3 and got two of them right. I couldn't really see anything wrong with throwing the ball off from the embankment but hey... what do I know? :lol:
Posted by:
kendalcottages
Free member

Postby Dave » Tue 5 Jan 2010 17:47 GMT

Interesting point, though. If the ball has to be thrown in from the point where it left the field of play, then what if the ball's been booted over the stand and left the FOP several dozen feet above ground level? And are you expected to crouch right down to the ground if it's rolled out of play?

(I know the answer is that the player's expected to have both feet on the ground and to deliver it from behind and above his head using both hands. But it's still a bit finicky. What do Barnet players do when they're at home on that ridiculous sloping pitch of theirs? Do the refs insist that they come right to the touchline for every throw?)
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Sports