It is currently Fri 26 Apr 2019 07:44 GMT
Change font size

UK Legislation

Exportability of Disability Living Allowance

This forum is for all the aspects of UK law that may affect expats - tax, social security, health, pensions, citizenship etc.

Exportability of Disability Living Allowance

Postby paysansgrigny » Wed 24 Sep 2008 10:50 GMT

Are there any groups in the expat community currently pushing for the UK government to adhere to the judgement made by the European Court of Justice on 18 October 2007 to allow the exportability of such allowances as DLA?
For those affected by the DWP's decision NOT to pay those expats who moved from the UK prior to the judgement, we are considering setting up a pressure group and are looking for supporters.
We have been working with our MP to resolve this issue - but he is being fobbed off with the same excuses given on the DWP website, and to anyone who contacts them directly.
According to the DWP, they are currently considering the "legal implications" of the ruling. However the ruling has been laid down in law by the ECJ and any help from those involved in the legal industry would be much appreciated also.
regards, Tina + John H
Posted by:
paysansgrigny

Postby Kay » Wed 24 Sep 2008 10:55 GMT

Hi, this is an interesting issue so thanks for posting about it. Please let us know if you find any further information.

Thanks,

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Petition to reinstate benefits

Postby paysansgrigny » Wed 8 Oct 2008 18:04 GMT

I have set up an e-petition on the No 10 Downing St website demanding reinstatement of benefits, in light of the ECJ ruling 18 Oct 2007, to those expats already living in EEA states.

The petition can be found at: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ECJ-DLA/

rgds
Tina
Posted by:
paysansgrigny

Exportability of UK benefits - UPDATE

Postby paysansgrigny » Tue 9 Dec 2008 20:51 GMT

Further to my previous post, Roger Gale MP is tabling the following parliamentary questions (PQs) to the minister in charge of the DWP on Monday 15 December:

1. What have been the conclusions of his department's consideration of the European Court of Justice ruling on exportable disability benefits (18.10.07) and if he will make a statement.

2. How many ex-patriate UK citizens have to date sought payment of exportable benefits following the ruling of the ECJ on 18th October 2007.

In addition, Roger is also keen to find out if any other expats have been in contact with their MPs on this issue, and if so which MPs.

So if anyone reading this post is affected by this issue and has been in contact with their UK MP, please send details via the "Contact us" form on website:

[Link removed: reason follows.]
Posted by:
paysansgrigny

Postby Kay » Tue 9 Dec 2008 21:54 GMT

Much as I support - and have supported - campaigns against inequities which affect expatriates, your call to action reads more like a "visit my website" promotion. Sure, you want people to join in and campaign. Don't we all! In which case a direct link to your "Contact us" form may have been more appropriate.

As it was, it wasn't a call for people to contact you on this issue but rather a general link to your website. This led to a description of you and your lives, a call for people to supply you with their tips on moving, a promotion of the interesting features on your website, and finally - if they scroll right down - they can find the information you refer to in your postings above and a link to your contact form.

Please post a direct link to your contact form if you want people to contact you on this important issue. Otherwise, it can only be seen as a promotion for your website, aka an advert.

We also have a contact form (as well as the FAQ board above) so if you have any problems/queries about this you are welcome to discuss them.

Thanks, Kay.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Link to contact form

Postby paysansgrigny » Wed 10 Dec 2008 10:31 GMT

I am sorry that you have come to the decision that my use of a weblink was in order to promote my website. I can assure you that this was not the case. I have no need to promote my website and never have done.

I am sure that you will appreciate that giving out an email address can lead to security issues and, as such, I thought that use of the contact form would be more appropriate as it provides a filter for any unsuitable messages that might be sent.

As the campaign against the injustice of the UK government against disabled expats is my priority, I am happy to accept comments through your site.

It is rather a pity that you chose to view my sincere posting in an adverse manner rather than the more important issue that it represented. If you choose not to continue with the campaign I will understand.
Posted by:
paysansgrigny

Postby Kay » Wed 10 Dec 2008 10:41 GMT

All you have to do is to post a direct link to your contact page. I was going to do it for you but your "contact us" page leads to several blog postings and photos before anyone can reach the contact bit.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to UK Legislation