It is currently Wed 19 Jun 2019 21:44 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Opinions/Politics

The Robert Burns International Airport: Where?

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

The Robert Burns International Airport: Where?

Postby Aulyin » Thu 24 Dec 2009 15:53 GMT

There are some people around the World trying to convince owners of a certain airport to change the name to"The Robert Burns International Airport"

Do New Zealanders know where-abouts the proposed "Robert Burns International Airport is"?

[Link removed by Site Admin. We don't allow newcomers to post links, with very few exceptions - our posting guidelines explain why. - Dave]

Would it make it make potential tourists more aware of the area from which Robert Burns was; born, grew up, learned, loved, drank, wrote some more, got married, farmed, died and was burried and pursuade them to visit?

Burns was born 5 miles from where the airport is.
The Robert Burns Birthplace Museum opens September 2010.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Aulyin
Free member

Rabbie Burns Airport?

Postby Aulyin » Sun 27 Dec 2009 01:38 GMT

This is a New Zealand Forum:

How many New Zealanders visit Scotland?
How many New Zealanders went over for Homecoming Scotland or the Clan Gathering in 2009?
How many arrived at Glasgow Prestwick Airport, thinking that they were in Glasgow?

Would naming the airport "The Robert Burns International Airport" help or hinder ex-pats?

Do we actually care?

Do ex-pats care?

Have a guid New'rday
Cheers, Aulyin
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Aulyin
Free member

Postby Aulyin » Wed 30 Dec 2009 14:35 GMT

Burns Corridor in south west Scotland is worth a visit according to the number of well known figures who came from there. Not just Robert Burns.

Every time your aircraft wheels touch down think about:
John Boyd Dunlop, (1840-1921) born in Dreghorn, Ayrshire and
John Loudon MacAdam (1756-1836) Born in Ayr, Ayrshire

I know about Andrew Fisher (1862-1921) born in Crosshouse, Ayrshire. Prime Minister of Australia 3 times and
Sir Thomas Makdougall Brisbane (1773-1860) Major-General, 1st Baronet, GCH, GCB Largs, soldier, colonial Governor and astronomer but were there any iconic south west Scots who became big in New Zealand?
Posted by:
Aulyin
Free member

The Robert Burns International Airport, Prestwick, Ayrshire

Postby Aulyin » Tue 19 Jan 2010 01:25 GMT

So far 322 signatures on the GoPetition to ask Infratil to change the name to The ROBERT BURNS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.

Seems that this request by Scots keeps popping up every year but as far as I know it's the first time there has been a petition for it.

Why the big deal do you think?
Posted by:
Aulyin
Free member

Postby Graeme » Tue 19 Jan 2010 05:46 GMT

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but what the heck is the fuss about? They can name an airport anything they like but it will always be known by the closest city, unless there are more than one airport there. Phoenix international is actually Sky Harbor, but who knows that, everyone just calls it Phoenix, Toronto is actually Lester B Pearson Airport, but for simplicity lets just call it Toronto. New York actually has three major airports, but they get known by their names otherwise it gets confusing calling them New York one two and three.
I don't actually get from your post if this airport you want to rename is in Scotland or in New Zealand, I guess it must be Scotland if it's near Robert Burns' birthplace unless of course there's another Robert Burns in New Zealand. If I was you I'd get less cryptic and say exactly what it is you are on about, oh and while I'm at it 322 signatures on a petition isn't worth a whole heck of a lot, nowadays you need thousands to get anything done.
Just my opinion.

:?
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 19 Jan 2010 05:56 GMT

Graeme, apparently the airport is owned by a New Zealand company, which is why Aulyin has been making a fuss about it on the NZ forum too. I don't really see what that's got to do with British expats in NZ - or anywhere else. for that matter.

I don't think that any of us are really very interested in the subject.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Aulyin » Tue 19 Jan 2010 10:00 GMT

I am someone who believes that Robert Burns International would benefit the tourist industry in an area in the old country where RB was: born, lived and died; Ayrshire & Dumfriesshire not Renfrewshire. Some ex-pats may agree with me, pride of place and all that.

Graeme
They can name an airport anything they like but it will always be known by the closest city, unless there are more than one airport there.

Glasgow Airport (GLA), Abbotsinch, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Glasgow Prestwick Airport (PIK), Prestwick, Ayrshire, Scotland. A 50 minute drive to Glasgow.

Currently, Glasgow Prestwick is owned by Infatril, a private investment company based in New Zealand and which also owns Kent International Airport and New Zealand’s Wellington International Airport.
Posted by:
Aulyin
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 19 Jan 2010 10:27 GMT

Everyone will still call it Prestwick anyway.

I choose which airport to fly to according to price and convenience. The name of the airport would never influence my decision at all. I don't know why people are getting concerned about this issue.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 26 Jan 2010 19:26 GMT

However, I nearly dropped a clanger last time I was in Johannesburg - Jan Smuts International Airport is now Oliver Tambo...

I always assumed that it was either central or local governments that named airports, not the companies that operated them. Whether or not you are interested in a Robert Burns Airport, there are some interesting issues to discuss here. Dos the right to name airports differ from country to country?

Aside: was it really wise to rename the site from which the US launches its biggest rockets after the guy who got quite close to nuking Cuba - whether or not he was right at the time?

To return to Aulyin's original point, I reckon that if you wanted to rename an airport that served the Burns Corridor it should be Rabbie, not Robert...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Opinions/Politics