It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 16:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Opinions/Politics

Sex and religion

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Postby gozomark » Wed 24 Feb 2010 13:54 GMT

2. : 'Thou shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness
of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth
beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

So that's sculptures of birds, dolphins and badgers out then - just as well never find any of those in churches......
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 24 Feb 2010 14:50 GMT

And also mountains, lakes and stars - there's nothing saying that inanimate objects are exempt. :roll:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 24 Feb 2010 15:03 GMT

How do the Presidential carvings at Mount Rushmore fit in :?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby superskib » Thu 25 Feb 2010 15:01 GMT

Dave wrote:Broadly, I'd agree - if only you'd said ethics rather than religion. Why bring a great beard in the sky into it?

If you mean 'god' I don't recognise that idea. I just use the word religion as shorthand for the all the concepts, superstitions etc that are commonly understood by the word 'religion'. If anyone wants to use 'nature' as their focus I am easy about that.

What I really mean, if I am more precise, are those Platonic ideals that are simply abstractions in the mind, as opposed to the empirical actions that life experiences.

If I have any regard for any 'religion' it is for the Bah'ai faith purely for its inclusiveness, as opposed to the dogmatic and doctrinal exclusiveness that is the hallmark of all monotheisms, which are in generally abhorrent.

IMHO of course
Posted by:
superskib

Previous

Return to Opinions/Politics