It is currently Tue 16 Jul 2019 02:38 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Sports

Well, what a surprise

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

Well, what a surprise

Postby Dave » Sun 27 Jun 2010 16:18 GMT

Another shocking display by England, particularly the defence (what defence?). Notwithstanding the Lampard goal that should have been but wasn't, I think 4-1 was a fair reflection of the two teams, or rather the one team and one bunch of strangers.

Disappointed though I am to say it, I think the World Cup will be better with Germany and without England.

I wonder how many of the tabloids tomorrow will be bleating that things would have been very different if the goal had stood, that there should be video replays/goal line technology/officials behind the goals. I'd bet that there'll be a lot of Schadenfreude in the German press about it, but I don't think I'll find any takers. :roll:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Sun 27 Jun 2010 19:21 GMT

You mean there were actually 22 players on the field. I only counted 11 footballers, think the rest were spectators.
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sun 27 Jun 2010 19:45 GMT

I liked the Grauniad minute-by-minute description of the first German goal:

Dear Lord. Neuer hoofs a long ball upfield, straight down the middle. Terry is off on holiday, Upson was standing wondering whether to go with him, maybe stow away in his suitcase, and so Klose simply romps down the middle, sliding in and poking a right-foot shot past the advancing James and into the bottom-right corner. That is as simple a goal that's been scored in the entire history of All Football. What a defensive shambles. The centre backs want shooting when they eventually come back from their break.

I felt very sorry for David James. Several decent last-ditch saves when his defence went missing, but he never stood a chance over the 90 minutes.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Sports