It is currently Wed 11 Dec 2019 08:34 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Repatriation

What Nationality Would My Baby Be?

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

What Nationality Would My Baby Be?

Postby San-Antonio-Brit » Fri 17 Oct 2008 19:16 GMT

Hi, folks - I came across this forum today and thought some of you might be able to answer a question that's been bugging me for some time now.
Sorry in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section!

I am Brit living in America (Texas) and have been here for one year, so currently, I'm a Legal Resident Alien.
My husband is a US citizen.
What I would like to know is - if I were to get pregnant, there's no way I could afford to have the baby in America, so if I travelled back to England for under 6 months to have the baby for free, then travelled back to the USA with the baby... what nationality would my child be?

I have tried to research this but I seem to be coming across conflicting information, so if anyone can give me advice from their own experiences or whatever, I'd really appreciate it.
If it helps, I don't care what nationality the baby would be, as long as he/she could come and go between UK and USA as often as needed.

Thank you all so much in advance, I look forward to checking this forum out more often now I know it exists!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
San-Antonio-Brit
Free member

Postby gozomark » Fri 17 Oct 2008 20:35 GMT

Hi and welcome to the website :D

where were you and your husband born, as this can make a difference
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby San-Antonio-Brit » Sat 18 Oct 2008 03:24 GMT

Hi again... I was born in England and hubby was born in Rantoulle, IL
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
San-Antonio-Brit
Free member

Postby San-Antonio-Brit » Sun 19 Oct 2008 01:12 GMT

Does ANYONE out there know the answer to my question??
Posted by:
San-Antonio-Brit
Free member

Postby homewardbound » Wed 9 Feb 2011 12:50 GMT

British AND American.
My son was born in San Antonio and has an American B.Cert and passport and a Certificate registering his birth in Britain to go with his British passport. Here's how it works. You get baby registered back home and make sure you note daddys nationality on the forms in all the right places. bring extra copies. when you get back here register the birth here... there is a form but i don't recall where. ask the US embassy while in UK, they may have it. Nationality is to do with parentage AND place of birth. Congratulations btw....
Posted by:
homewardbound

Return to Repatriation