It is currently Fri 6 Dec 2019 15:48 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Repatriation

Express repat in two months -Germany to UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Express repat in two months -Germany to UK

Postby PE9 » Fri 20 Jan 2012 09:39 GMT

Hello everyone
i am new here and in a hurry (panic).
I need to repat on 1st april 2012 and start UK self-employment immediately.
I will also be keeping my German appartment as a hotel accomodation for business reasons so i will not be shipping any furniture back to UK.
Who do i have to inform officially to repat back to UK after 25 years being away - Dusseldorf embassy ?
Once in Uk, where my wife is already living, i understand that i will have to register for the Doc and dentist , for buisiness obviously HRMC etc but i am more organised in that direction.
I have existing UK accomodation (my wifes house).

In short:
Who MUST i inform in UK and DE.
What Forms must i have completed to repat.
..... and any othere bombshells that i may have missed :-(
Posted by:
PE9

Postby PE9 » Fri 20 Jan 2012 11:16 GMT

this is a bit like talking to myself :lol:

I have found out that the border agency will need a form VAF4B filling out, this comes with a VAF guidance doc as well.

ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/vaf4b.pdf
Has anyone done this ? How long did it take ?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Posted by:
PE9

Postby Kay » Fri 20 Jan 2012 11:49 GMT

Steady on.

There are people all around the world here from every continent. Why would you expect to get a reply about a Germany specific question in less than a couple of hours.

I'm sorry you're in a panic and need info fast but you're not talking to yourself. People won't reply if they don't know the answer. Anyway, thanks for the info about the border agency.

You obviously have a lot to do but don't forget it's Friday night now in many parts of the world, and the forum doesn't have staff as such, and certainly not any professional advisers about emigrating or repatriating. It's a case of people replying to you if they know any answers.

Good luck with your plans, and welcome to the forum. I hope we can help in some way.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri 20 Jan 2012 12:02 GMT

Are you a British citizen? If so, you don't need to tell anyone - you have the right of abode in the UK anyway. (The form you've mentioned is for people who've been granted resident status and subsequently left the UK again. The UK doesn't have any kind of Meldepflicht for its own citizens.)

And since you're moving within the EU, you can bring whatever you like with you as long as it's not illegal in the UK.

Anything else you might have to do, such as registering with your local doctor, HMRC, DWP, council etc, are things you'd have to do for a move within the UK anyway if they happen to apply to you - they have nothing in particular to do with returning from living abroad.

This deals with things from the UK end - the Repatriation board isn't intended to deal with issues specific to a particular foreign country. For the German side of things, you'd be better off asking on our Germany board on the In-Country forum.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby PE9 » Fri 20 Jan 2012 13:37 GMT

First of all, apologies to Kay but it was a positive smiley about trying to answer my own questions.
Thankyou David for providing the light at the end of the tunnel,
No wonder the info is hard to find.
That makes things a lot easier for me.
All i need to do is arrive and register with the appropriate authorities for health, council and HMRC for tax.
Yes the german side is more complicated but i can visit the local office and report my intentions, they love their paperwork.
My british passport is up to date and i have kept a UK bank account open since 1976.
My german car is over 10yrs old so it would have problems if imported
But that wont be necessary (and i was just getting used to driving it around london).
Thanks again, if i encounter anything else i will post the info.
Best regards
Martyn
Posted by:
PE9

Postby Kay » Fri 20 Jan 2012 14:54 GMT

Hi Martyn

I did notice your positive smiley. I might have bitten you otherwise. :wink: No apology necessary.

We don't really get a lot of repatriation queries to deal with. It's mostly people moving the other way. Good luck with going back to Blighty.

That'll be great if you stick around and help us with more info.

Many thanks

Kay 8-)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby PE9 » Thu 26 Jan 2012 13:35 GMT

I have now started to catch up with the loose ends on the german side and the story does get quite difficult at times.
There never seems to be a straight forward clear method of doing things or a simple form to fill out.
My situation:
I am moving back to uk, to work from UK in Europe, on the UK Tax system.
I will be sub-contracted by a german company and therefore will be in germany on a regular basis.
As a result of which i wish to retain my german appartment and save hotel costs.
Also i want to keep my german Car on the german net , leaving it in theory in germany for when i am in germany on business instead of paying hire car costs.
I asked and phoned the german admin authorities receiving diferent answers to the same questions :?

At the moment it looks like i can keep a car in germany as long as i am registered as resident in my german appartment and have a valid german address.
The main criterium for the authorities was that i had a postal address and regular access to post collection ( my sons or landlord).
If not i would have to register as resident and de-register every time i went back and forth to UK..... Confusing ?? ..... which is why they said just remain registered as resident and nothing will happen.

Tax wise , i have to de-register with the german tax authorities and make an annual tax assessment.
It will probably be like UK that i am not aloud to be in the country longer than 6 months total or three months in one stay or i will have to re-register with the german tax authorities.

This is a bit of an individual case but it may help someone as crazy as myself to return to UK but work in europe.
Martyn
Posted by:
PE9

Postby Kay » Thu 26 Jan 2012 14:10 GMT

Thanks, Martyn. Much appreciated. I don't envy you but you seem to have a good handle on it. So best of luck!
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Repatriation