It is currently Tue 18 Jun 2019 01:29 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Sci Fi

Would you go?

By popular request - here's a place to discuss your favourite Sci Fi stuff. (Can anyone think of a better word than "stuff"?)

Would you go with a group of time travellors if it meant you could never return to your own time?

Poll ended at Wed 12 Nov 2003 15:03 GMT

yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes : 6

Would you go?

Postby justajester » Wed 5 Nov 2003 15:03 GMT

If you were approched by a group of people from the future (say five hundred years of our time) and they offered to take you with them, would you go if they said that you could never return to your own time? You have one earth hour to let them know your decision.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Rich » Wed 5 Nov 2003 15:10 GMT

If it happened today, yes, definitely as I have no great ties to keep me here. I'd also go even if they said they would leave me a couple of hundred years in the past, as think that could be interesting too.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby justajester » Wed 5 Nov 2003 15:27 GMT

Interesting point...500 years in the future or 500 years in the past. I'd prefer the future, i think. :roll:
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby HesitationKills » Wed 5 Nov 2003 16:19 GMT

No. George Bush XVI will probably be president.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
HesitationKills
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 5 Nov 2003 17:59 GMT

George Bush XVI

Hmm- 500 years, 16 George Bush's. Suppose I should ask how many Dubya's in that same time frame. Do they alternate between a W and nothing? Ouch that would mean 32 decendents in power. In fairness though, after about the 6th or 7th with a bit of luck some time traveller would have worked out what's happening and found a way to banish all Bush relatives to a galaxy far, far away. Or at least Sigma quadrant.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby justajester » Wed 12 Nov 2003 19:41 GMT

And Queen Liz VIII will be the reigning monarch, obviously the descendent of present-day Prince William.
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 12 Nov 2003 23:44 GMT

Would I have to go alone?

I might go for it, but probably not. A bird in the hand...

If I can take Dave, I'd definitely go for it.

Let's try something new! And at least I'd have someone to complain to (blame) if it didn't work out. :wink:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Thu 13 Nov 2003 02:51 GMT

I think I'd rather go back in time, rather than ahead. The idea of going into the future reminds me of Ripley in "Aliens" after she's been in hyper-sleep for 57 years she's not really "qualified" to do much of anything other than loading cargo... Just imagine bringing someone from the Renaissance into our present age. Would Leonardo embrace television? What would Michelangelo make of a slab of bricks on the floor of the Tate?
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 13 Nov 2003 09:59 GMT

Going back in time might be possible if holo-deck technology ever becomes a reality.

There's no way I would go back in time, though. How would I survive without the Internet?

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Rich » Thu 13 Nov 2003 10:41 GMT

There's no way I would go back in time, though. How would I survive without the Internet?

I look forward to recieving the news letter by smoke signals &/or carrier pigeon

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Thu 18 Dec 2003 20:50 GMT

If I went back 500 years, I'd probably be lucky to survive 5 years, whereas I reckon I should manage 15-20 now. I wouldn't have the same life expectation in 500 years' time as the locals, but I'd probably gain quite a bit. I'd need a patron/sponsor, for as long as it took to find a way to earn a living. I'd need to have good reason to trust my abductors, and they'd need to propose the right deal - one that wifie would accept (i.e. one that included having animals and land to play with - not life in a metroplitan apartment). Sounds pretty unlikely.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Return to Sci Fi