It is currently Sun 8 Dec 2019 21:00 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Repatriation

Sooo undecided about moving from Canada to Wales - help!

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Sooo undecided about moving from Canada to Wales - help!

Postby cymraes » Sun 25 May 2008 12:23 GMT

Hello,

I think a lot of people feel this way, but it's driving me nuts - I can't decide if it's a good or a bad thing to return to the UK, and I'm hoping someone can give me some facts, and suggestions....

Basically, I've lived outside the UK for over 20 years, but come back every three years or so on holiday for about 3 -4 weeks.

I'd be coming back to Wales.

Questions are:
1. I'm bringing my dog over - has anyone else used BA to fly a dog to the UK?
2. How hard is it to rent a place - do they all ask for 6 months rent up front?
3. Is the UK really as bad as I'm hearing?

Thanks,
Cymraes
Posted by:
cymraes

Postby Kay » Sun 25 May 2008 12:33 GMT

Hi

Welcome to BE. Have you seen our Canada forum? People are queueing up to leave the UK and go to Canada. You'd really be swimming against the tide. Of course if that's what you want to do then go for it! Good luck!

Why not go and have a look at the "Decisions, decisions" board on our Canada forum and talk to some of the people there. I guess you'll get a biased point of view there, though, as they've all either moved to Canada or are desperate to go. It might help you appreciate what you've got a bit more. After all, moving lock, stock, and barrel is a very serious move for anyone.

I personally wouldn't go back to the UK. But what do I know? I haven't been to the UK for years, and I've never even visited Canada. Whatever you do, I think it's good that you're seeking others' opinions before risking jumping from the frying pan to the fire. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Sun 25 May 2008 15:00 GMT

I live in Canada and I just came back form a two week vacation in England. Personally I think you're nuts, England is not like it was even 10 years ago, it is violent, uncaring, a moral wasteland and more people are moving out all the time (one problem is that the intelligent people are moving out leaving a decided brain drain there). People are falling over themselves to move out to Canada, just take a look at the Canada forum to see that, If you do go back, make sure you leave yourself an escape, keep some money back or take out Canadian citizenship before you go so at least you can come back if you turn into a ping-ponger.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 26 May 2008 05:14 GMT

^^ Graeme must have visited a different England to me. However, you're probably thinking of returning to Wales?

I visit the UK reasonably often nowadays. It is not as bad as some will make out.
I'm always quite impressed with the place when I go to visit.
It's where the British people live, and I happen to mostly like them :).

Getting an ex-pat's opinion is probably not really all that valid.
Can't you arrange for an extended stay back home to see?
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby agraham » Sun 11 Nov 2012 23:00 GMT

I was just reading your message and I would be curious to know what your decision was. Did you move back? I am wanting to move back to Northern Ireland. I moved to Canada when I was 4 and been here for 26 years, but have always wanted to go back. It's a tough decision.
Posted by:
agraham

Postby Joyesuzanne » Mon 30 Dec 2013 05:59 GMT

I am in the same position, only I have lived in Canada for 43 years, my husband died and I have two sisters also on their own in Sussex, I have been trying to make up my mind for over a year, edging closer and closer to making the move, there are so many tax laws etc, that it becomes complicated, do I rent, do I buy, do I ship all of my furniture home, what if I don't like it after I do that, and this is from someone who is in England every two years, I love going there, the food is better, and the winters are certainly better!
Posted by:
Joyesuzanne

Return to Repatriation