It is currently Sun 24 Mar 2019 17:25 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh!
    Kay and Dave would like to wish all our readers with Irish connections a very happy St Patrick's Day!

Opinions/Politics

Ban smoking outside?

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Ban smoking outside?

Postby Kay » Thu 16 Oct 2014 07:23 GMT

Here's a BBC story about this issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29623851

As a smoker, I've found it to be something akin to being a leper these days. Fair enough. But I think this call for a ban is a step too far.

What's interesting in the comment section of the article is the number of non-smokers who see such a ban as an infringement of rights and an over-zealous nanny state taking huge sums of money (via taxes) on the one hand whilst being seen to prohibit smoking on the other.

They need to make their minds up whether it's allowed or not. They can't - or shouldn't - have it both ways.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 16 Oct 2014 08:33 GMT

As you say, it's interesting to see how many non-smokers think a ban on smoking in public spaces is going too far. I'm one of them.

The comment warning that e-cigarettes would be targeted next as "it looks like smoking" sounds all too likely. Actually, if I recall correctly there have already been some comments from anti-smoking campaigners to that effect - I think it was in the context of discussing whether or not e-cigs should be allowed in TV programmes, or something along those lines.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Thu 16 Oct 2014 12:34 GMT

I've witnessed problems on London buses where people fire up their e-cigarette and because the driver sees smoke is obliged to stop the bus and investigate - principally I think because he'll be in trouble himself if he allows people to smoke (conventional cigarettes) rather than for safety.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Deith » Fri 17 Oct 2014 07:08 GMT

As a former smoker I do sympathize with smokers on this issue, but I'm also not indifferent to non-smokers.
Walking the street and having someone else's fumes reach your airways is really unpleasant.
Like, I didn't quit smoking so that I can smoke other people's fumes :lol:

On the other hand, banning people from smoking in public, is simply too much imo.
I guess this is one of those compromises in life people have to live with :)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Deith
Premium Member

Postby Kay » Fri 17 Oct 2014 07:34 GMT

What's the situation like in Bulgaria? Are they very strict there or not?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Deith » Fri 17 Oct 2014 07:52 GMT

As far as I know, there's a ban on smoking in enclosed public places.
But like everything else in here, that law is hardly ever enforced, so people do whatever they please.
Posted by:
Deith
Premium Member

Postby Kay » Fri 17 Oct 2014 08:41 GMT

In Thailand (where we were until a few months ago) there's a ban on smoking in air-conditioned public places. Given the warm climate, that means pretty much everywhere. But you can stand outside and many places have outside seating areas.

There's also a ban on smoking within a certain distance (100m?) of a hospital. This isn't strictly enforced as I've seen patients sitting outside the hospital having a puff.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Deith » Fri 17 Oct 2014 08:52 GMT

Why would they ban smoking outside hospitals?
People allergic to smoke or something like that?!
Posted by:
Deith
Premium Member

Postby Kay » Fri 17 Oct 2014 09:08 GMT

I think it was just to make a point. They like to be seen as a modern country and so they like to copy the Americans in a lot of ways, especially regarding health and safety. But they don't always get it right.

For example, it's necessary to wear a helmet on a motorbike but loads of people don't. You can quite often see four on a bike, dogs, babies, the lot and none of them have helmets.

Many laws are enforced more rigorously near the end of the month when the police need extra money to keep them going until payday.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Deith » Fri 17 Oct 2014 09:23 GMT

Oh, they have the legalized extortion thing going.
Here we had people extort you for "protection" money some years ago and they stopped that behavior by legalizing the activity and calling those same people "police".
Now you can safely drive on the roads, knowing that the drunk person in BMW gave at least 10 Euro before he takes your life :crackup:
Sorry for the off-topic, I can't help it.
Posted by:
Deith
Premium Member

Postby Kay » Fri 17 Oct 2014 09:50 GMT

Don't worry about going off topic on discussion threads. We like to keep the info threads on topic, but otherwise people can 'chat' as they like.

Oh yes, the police are corrupt. There's no doubt about that. On various religious holidays and at some other times (eg elections), bars are not allowed to sell alcohol. Needless to say, many of them do.

We were in a bar on such a day and the owner was selling alcohol. I asked, "Won't you be in trouble if the police come by?"

The owner replied that there was nothing to worry about because her contact in the police would phone first if the police would be going down that road.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Deith » Fri 17 Oct 2014 10:21 GMT

Sounds as bad as it's here.
Posted by:
Deith
Premium Member

Return to Opinions/Politics