It is currently Mon 14 Oct 2019 09:21 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Portugal

self build

self build

Postby chickengeorge » Sun 22 Jan 2006 18:42 GMT

if you own land in portugal can u build ahouse yourself or not :shock:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chickengeorge
Free member

Postby JayneR » Tue 24 Jan 2006 23:56 GMT

Literally yourself? :shock: Yes, providing you get all the necessary paperwork, licences, legal stuff sorted out, etc. If you don't, the council will just send round a bulldozer to knock it down again - if they find out!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Postby chickengeorge » Thu 9 Feb 2006 17:27 GMT

reason why i asked is that i was told you could only build if you were a registered builder.if so how do you become one :lol:
Posted by:
chickengeorge
Free member

Postby Cindy » Sat 11 Feb 2006 16:53 GMT

Not sure what's needed , but I met a UK builder last time I was out in Vale da tehla and he is having his built by a portuguese builder in VDT and watching everything beeing built himself as he said he had to have a portuguese registerd builder to build and it was to complicated to get all the documentation he needed to build in Portugal I know it's not much help to you
Posted by:
Cindy
Free member

Postby omostra06 » Fri 17 Jul 2009 09:06 GMT

I know this is a very old post, but the question is still relavant,

To build a property in Portugal you need full planning approval from the local council, you then need to purchase a license at this time your registered builder has to be recorded on the license to build, he has a license number (alvara) that must be matched to the planning process, if you do not have a licence/alvara then you cant build the house yourself.

some people do get round this problem by working with a builder, so the builders alavara is used to get the license then he and the owner work together on the house sharing the work.
Posted by:
omostra06
Free member

Return to Portugal