It is currently Wed 23 Oct 2019 05:42 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Portugal

living alone in portgal

living alone in portgal

Postby irene » Thu 6 Sep 2007 20:52 GMT

how difficult would it be to emmigrate to portugal alone as a 51 year old female?
Posted by:
irene

Postby zolabud » Thu 6 Dec 2007 15:37 GMT

Hi Irene.
Which part are you thinking of?
I am familiar with the central area,Coimbra,Tabua,Olivera etc,and know a little bit about how things work.Get back to me on my E mail address,I may be able to help in your decision.
I'm 50,alone,and desperate to get back,but don't want to lose my property here.Perhaps if you do go,I can come and stay,that way you could make some money!
Get back if you can.
Zolabud.
Posted by:
zolabud

Living alone in Portugal

Postby Hollyberry » Tue 5 Feb 2008 16:48 GMT

Irene, I'm trying to get the same information/advice as you. Not getting far at the moment!

Any advice welcome.
Regards,
Hollyberry
Posted by:
Hollyberry

Hi Hollyberry.Get back sometime!

Postby zolabud » Tue 5 Feb 2008 18:11 GMT

Hi Hollyberry.

Tried to use the Personal Messenger to get in touch with you,but it won't work for some reason.
If you want to chat,get back to me on my E mail address.
I have lived in Portugal for a few months and know a bit about how things work.Would love to return and am loking at a few possibilites but being on my own now I am a little unsure.

Get back sometime.

Zolabud. :D
Posted by:
zolabud

Thank you for your reply.

Postby Hollyberry » Tue 5 Feb 2008 18:46 GMT

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.
I have tried to email you via here but it won't work.

The main questions I have are:
Language----is any English spoken?
Renting--I want to rent a house initially. will this be easy in a rural area?
Pets--I have 3, will this be a problem? Is there a great deal of animal neglect / cruelty in Portugal?

What, in your opinion, are the advantages / disadvantages of living in Portugal? I have lived out of the UK before, but have not been to Portugal.
Many thanks
Hollyberry
Posted by:
Hollyberry

Got a website for you.

Postby zolabud » Tue 5 Feb 2008 23:55 GMT

In answer to your questions.

1.It depends where you are going to whether English is spoken.
The Algarve and surrounding areas will have Portugese folk who speak English and of course more English speaking expats.
I was in a small village near Tabua(central Portugal)where English speaking folk are limited.But you are going to find expats wherever you are...Just have to stumble across them.They are mostly really helpful.
Are you going to be doing a building project?...If you are,try to find someone who can speak Portugese.It can help enormously with ordering materials etc.When I was there,we paid for 'English speaking' everything.From legal stuff to builders...That is how a lot of folk make their money.Until hopefully you will find someone who has been through it aswell...We made some good friends that way.

2,Renting.
Of course you are going to get advertisents etc,but try to pick your way through them.Revenue is made from folk like you.And there are a lot of expats out there trying to make a hard earned buck.Wages are low in Portugal.I can't recommend on here,its probably not allowed,but we stayed in a few places round Tabua,Olivera,Coimbra....You say you are going rural.Which part...?
Have you the Rough guide to Portugal?
You can do a lot worse than look at that for recommendations of where to stay.That's what we did.We ended up buying a small place and renovating it.But that is another story...

I wish you could E mail me...Try again,but from your E mail facility,not through this website.

Advantages? Well,the weather obviously.Although South(Algarve)is hotter than central.
You will be pleasantly surprised by the prices of a few things...If you drink,smoke etc.all cheaper(much!) in Portugal.

Keep in touch and good luck!!

Zolabud.
Posted by:
zolabud

Footnote to my last post.

Postby zolabud » Wed 6 Feb 2008 00:28 GMT

I wavered from saying this in my last post....

There is,in my opinion,cruelty to animals in many parts of rural Portugal.
But we are not Portugese...And many would not agree with my views.
When we first stayed there,we were surprised at how many Portugese folk keep their dogs on chains outside their houses.They sleep outside,usually in a kennel,and often don't get let off their chains.
They bark incessently when you walk past(We didn't drive).
They are guard dogs.
Boy dogs,when born,are usually kept,to be new guard dogs.And girl dogs get pregnant.Spaying and neutering cost money.So unless you can pass your girl dogs on....Need I say more.
Same with cats.A lot of cats are ferral in rural Portugal.Which is why when non Portugese move into a rural property you normally have a steady trickle of strays haunting your house.(Dogs and cats)

A British friend of ours who visited warned us about this and threw stones at a lovely stray dog that I would have taken in...I'm glad I didn't give in,but my partner did.He now has 3 dogs and 3 cats.All ex strays.
You don't say what pets you have.Just be aware that you WILL attract strays.Eventually.

We got a vet in.English speaking(You usually pay extra for that) who gave birth control injections to our stray girl dogs.And flea control injections too.Cost a fortune.

In the South you will see animal charity's who have 'saved' animals from being 'abused'.Donkeys,cats,dogs...Not so much the further north you go.
You have pets already,it may make a difference.Pets can be territorial can't they? Maybe they will scare off the invaders...

Again,Good luck.

Zolabud.
Posted by:
zolabud

Thank you

Postby Hollyberry » Thu 7 Feb 2008 14:50 GMT

Thank you for your detailed and informative reply.
Hollyberry
Posted by:
Hollyberry

expat website

Postby net net » Thu 7 Feb 2008 21:50 GMT

Hi Hollyberry,

I have lived in CentralPortugal for 3 years. I spent the first part of that on my own here as my other half had to go back to UK to work.

[Link removed by Site Admin]

If you need any advice or help on anything just give me a shout. :D

As the animal situation, again I can only repeat what Zolabud has already said. I brought my labrador with me but now have a little Portuguese dog and a horse!
Posted by:
net net

Return to Portugal