It is currently Thu 14 Nov 2019 09:57 GMT
Change font size

Dominican Republic

Land for sale in La Mulata area near International School

Land for sale in La Mulata area near International School

Postby brandi » Fri 27 Jun 2008 11:59 GMT

Hi there,

Anybody know anything about the area of La Mulata 4 in Sosua. I have been told land is still cheap there. Was in the DR last year, looking at retiring in 5 years. Been told the road is being paved, but no electricity up there yet?? Would be great for some feedback, would it be a good place to buy??
Posted by:
brandi

Postby DRAddict » Mon 30 Jun 2008 06:03 GMT

Hello brandi ....... & welcome to British ExPat's The Dominican Republic forum.

Let me announce my bias right up front - I am not a Sosua lover as to me it is TOO much an Ex-Pat enclave. There are many Brits who live over there (I live in Puerto Plata) & they are extremely happy doing so - it has just never had any attraction for me!

La Mulata area is still an attractive, secluded area of Sosua I gather. I used to call up there several years ago to visit a friend of mine but since he moved away, I don't go up any more. I gather it has had many new houses built since the days of my visits but the man who owned much of the land up there (much of which he has now sold) considers himself to be the 'King' & feels he has to be obeyed. This causes a few problems with the newer property owners I am told & it is something you will HAVE to check out to be sure THAT is the area you want to live in! Normally my advice would be to 'come RENT property in the DR for 9 months or so' prior to buying as you can only get true, factual & PERTINENT TO YOU information by living here. You also have the ability to get to know the honest & reliable people to do business with & learn the correct prices for things rather than find prices inflated to you because you are 'The New Gringo On The Block'!!

As a rule, property prices in the Sosua area tend to be higher than many other localities. Have you checked land prices further to the East or West of Sosua? Do you NEED a house with close proximity to the beach or would further 'inland' be just as acceptable? Is an area where 80% of the inhabitants speak some form of English important to you or do you intend to integrate yourself into the country culture etc more?

IF you decide to buy here, then please choose a reliable lawyer to handle things for you & MAKE SURE you get a proper title to your land. This may mean having to check a few things for yourself &/or involve some knowledgable & trustworty people in the Sosua area. I'll give you the names of a few I know when you get to the stage of wanting to buy so that you can talk direct to them. It is easy to BUY land/property here, it is less easy to sell it if you have made the wrong decision.

YES, the road was started & has had much of the tarmac'ing done. There is a litle work yet to be completed according to information coming to me, but this should be finished by September (that hopefully means September of THIS year!! :lol: )

Hope this helps you a bit. Please be aware there is a LOT of land available for sale in the DR so there is no need to rush at the first lot of 'Sales Talk' from an Estate Agent. Check around with the local Ex-pats a bit - preferably ones you meet who are in business here & not the ones who spend most of their time propping up the bars!! :roll:

See??? I TOLD you I was biassed!! ~ Grahame.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Postby DRAddict » Wed 9 Jul 2008 03:40 GMT

Hmmm..........................
No response yet so I presume brandi didn't like my honest & upfront approach to giving of advice? Sorry if I hurt your feelings brandi but it IS important for you to have factual information to base your decisions on & I try to do just that. If my information makes you STOP & THINK then I have probably saved you a whole lot of money!

Let us know how things are progressing & don't be a stranger here - we all try to give helpful advice even if it doesn't always meet with your 'required' feedback needs! ~ Grahame.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DRAddict
Free member

Return to Dominican Republic