It is currently Mon 14 Oct 2019 07:46 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

Portugal

Internet Service around Coimbra

Internet Service around Coimbra

Postby trescoeman » Sat 5 Apr 2008 13:53 GMT

I am considering moving to the Coimbra area and require broadband internet connection (ADSL) in the house. Has anyone got any information regarding the availability / quality of this service in Coimbra area? Also, any indication of costs and connection waiting time would be appreciated.

Trescoeman
Posted by:
trescoeman

Postby Bete » Tue 8 Jul 2008 17:04 GMT

:) I'm quite happy with my internet provider (Cyclop net). It has been a very stable and reliable service. I hardly have any loss of internet. When I don't have internet usually it's PT's fault. :x The only downside is being dependent on PT´s phone line, but is it comes out good. I pay the PT rental, and I have a monthly bill of 21.80 euros for 2 megas, 6 gb. I also had to pay an activation fee. And it took about 1 1/2 week to be online.
I live in Torres Vedras, but I also have friends that also use Cyclop Net in the Coimbra area.

Bete
Posted by:
Bete

Postby trescoeman » Fri 11 Jul 2008 09:24 GMT

Hi Bete

Thanks for the info. I made a quick exploratory trip north of Porto and may now focus on that area, but I guess that the i/net service will be more or less the same as you describe.

Trescoeman
Posted by:
trescoeman

Internet in Portugal

Postby jjnorty » Wed 22 Jul 2009 11:09 GMT

Hi

Something to bear in mind is that if you put in broadband thats fine but if you dont want the expense of installation costs, landline costs plus your package you can very cost effectively get a mobile Banda Larga which in UK terms is broadband using a dongle. Which is exactly like a small computer storage stick that goes into your USB port.

The cost is either pay as you go or a monthly fixed fee which starts at 25 euros per month and provides various types of download packages. I use it and it saves time, gives me all the internet I want with no installation costs involved and most importantly you are not reliant on PT!

Cheers

John
Posted by:
jjnorty

Postby paulmanning » Fri 9 Jul 2010 21:23 GMT

Prices seem to have dropped a lttle since john's post. My advice is to find a local IT shop and ask them. We have some friends down the road who asked the local shop and they recommended the best package and made sure it worked before they placed and order with the mobile company.

Paul
Posted by:
paulmanning

Return to Portugal