It is currently Mon 9 Dec 2019 16:38 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Angola

pregnancy

pregnancy

Postby georgia » Thu 19 Jul 2007 19:47 GMT

Hi,

We are thinking of moving to Luanda in the next few months, but I pregnant and would like to find out if other expats have given birth there??
We are going with a large oil company.

Thanks
T.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
georgia
Free member

pregnancy and finding british community in angola

Postby ngomes » Mon 2 Feb 2009 16:19 GMT

hi,
I am also pregnant and due to move to angola in april. my husband is working out there and is from there along with all his family, i was wondering if anyone has any advice on child birth and meeting with any british people when i am there, also any activities to keep me from being board and keep my independance.

thanx!
Posted by:
ngomes

Postby georgia » Mon 2 Feb 2009 19:11 GMT

Hi

You can meet Brittish expats through the LBW (Luanda brittish women).

Please do not give birth here! The health care here is very basic. I recently had a health problem... was all day waiting for a scan - never happened. GP here told me to book flights and go because here I would not get adquate care. We ended up flying of to Lisbon for an operation. All went well!

t
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
georgia
Free member

birth

Postby ngomes » Tue 3 Feb 2009 16:41 GMT

hi again!

glad all went well for u.
Would this be a problem if i were to go to a private clinic? As my husbands family said it woul be ok if i were to go private. Are you still in Angola, how are you finding it?
Posted by:
ngomes

Postby georgia » Tue 3 Feb 2009 19:14 GMT

Hi

When I say healthcare here is basic I'm talking about the private care. I don't know any western expat here that would dare to have a baby here volunterely.
We all have full private medical cover and evacuation in case of emergency.

Total, Sonagol and cheveron have their own clinics which are meant to be good. Still Total and cheveron people don't have babies here. But it's a decision that you'll have to make yourself. Wealthy Angolans have their babies here and I've heard there are a coulple very good local doctors but you need the right contacts to access them as they are very very busy.

We like being here but it's not allways easy there's lots of traffic jams, easy getting anything done it's difficult. It's a big cultural shock. But the weather it's great and my kids love here.
tania
Posted by:
georgia
Free member

thanx!

Postby ngomes » Tue 3 Feb 2009 20:52 GMT

Thanx!
Posted by:
ngomes

Return to Angola