It is currently Tue 10 Dec 2019 11:22 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Greece

Do you miss your British groceries?

Do you miss your British groceries?

Postby becca564 » Tue 11 Oct 2011 21:57 GMT

Do you miss your British groceries while you are abroad? We would be delighted to help!

We are British based and travel abroad regularly and while we are abroad, we miss some of our best British brands.

We are wanting to establish a company where you can basically give us your shopping list and we will go and get it from the leading British supermarkets and then ship it direct to you.

If you or anyone you know would be interested in this service, please let me know.
Posted by:
becca564

Postby Kay » Tue 11 Oct 2011 22:19 GMT

Have you established your business yet or not? Is this just a vague plan you have? Is your posting a thinly veiled advert? What are you trying to do?

This forum is not a receptacle for free advertising - our members don't like it. Also, respectable businesses like British Corner Shop (see button in the column on the right) pay for advertising. You can't seriously expect that a big established site like ours will give it to you for free. :? What kind of analysis have you done before deciding to start this business? You are very late to market and will have to compete with a lot of the big boys.

If that's what you want to do, then good luck to you, but perhaps it would be better to do some basic research before showing up on a forum where no one knows you and touting for business.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 11 Oct 2011 22:27 GMT

Oh crikey! I thought that it might be a decent person who was just misguided so I gave her the benefit of the doubt. While I was posting my reply she made 13 further spammy posts promoting this 'business'. (I'll delete them now - I've got nothing better to do. What a twit!) :roll: :evil:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Martin Pickering » Fri 30 Nov 2012 12:27 GMT

Someone here is offering a similar service. At present they are turning up regularly at "table top sales" and there's clearly a demand for Asda brown sauce, malt vinegar, pickled onions and other condiments. However, I suspect they aren't paying taxes so either a local will report them or a local shop will copy them. Either way, I can't see their business lasting. A pity because they are a nice couple and they are fulfilling a demand.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Martin Pickering
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 1 Dec 2012 15:53 GMT

Hi Martin

Great to see you again. Hope all's well with you. Yes, there are lots of this type of business springing up all over the place. The trouble is that some of them are very late to the market. Many of them seem to act as though they've seen someone else doing it and they've just thought, "I could do that", without creating any proper plan or even thinking about various aspects of running a business.

Is it difficult to get products from the UK where you are now? We're finding all kinds of our favourites in supermarkets in most SE Asian countries these days - everything from Marmite to loads of Waitrose products. The only one thing we can't get that we'd want is a decent fish supper. Even then there's a new Kiwi restaurant which does a good approximation. :D

Cheers

Kay
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Martin Pickering » Sat 1 Dec 2012 16:15 GMT

We can get most things and Amazon delivers here free. By a "fish supper" I assume you mean English "fish & chips"? We can get that in two places locally. Also pizza (which doesn't interest me). There's also a good Chinese buffet bar in town but no Chinese take-aways and no curry shops!

Crete, being the largest Greek island, has the best infrastructure so we can get most things - but it is rather like living in the sixties!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Martin Pickering
Free member

Return to Greece