It is currently Fri 7 Aug 2020 12:55 GMT
Change font size


Request for urgent info please

Request for urgent info please

Postby anocas1979 » Mon 22 Apr 2013 00:42 GMT

Hi all,

I would like to request information on english speaking psychologists in Portugal in the Coimbra, Oporto or Aveiro area.

My boyfriend is from the U.K., he is 39 years old, and he has been in Portugal for 6 years.
For a few months now, he was been presenting several symptoms that have been worsening for the past three weeks and that truly concern me. These include: sudden outbursts of rage, and at that moment he breaks/throws things,screams swears and becomes aggressive; recurrent mood swings; feelings of worthlesseness and no self-esteem; crying; stuttering (this has become worse); confusion, can't focus on work; alterate sleep cycles; chest pain and muscle spasms.
I feel physically tired and mentally exhausted from all the distress he causes to himself and to me. I fear for his mental sanity and I just want him to feel well.His family lives in the U.K. and it's difficult for me to cope with this on my own.
He asked for help as he feels he is not capable to deal with the situation anymore.

Is there a health professional any of you can refer that can help him (us) cope with this situation?

Thanks in advance for your time.


Posted by:
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon 22 Apr 2013 00:39 GMT

Postby Graeme » Tue 23 Apr 2013 02:50 GMT

That sounds awful Ana, I'd be inclined to take him to a doctor who can speak English as the symptoms you describe can be caused by a whole host of things, not just a psychological condition. It would be very handy to have a CAT scan done to rule out any organic abnormality (an MRI would be better but is usually not so available). At the very least the doctor would be able to put your boyfriend on some medication which might make things more tolerable while you both sort this out. Unfortunately I can't suggest any doctors as I live in Canada, but I would suggest you don't leave this too long.
Good luck and best wishes.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2129
Joined: Wed 1 Oct 2003 02:14 GMT
Location: British Columbia, Canada.

Postby Kay » Thu 16 May 2013 11:57 GMT

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Ana. I think Graeme has given you good advice.

It may not turn out to be a serious problem. Several years ago I was just about crazy because everyone was winding me up - sometimes for no real reason other than they were irritating me. I spoke to a senior nurse about it and she asked me a few questions. Then she suggested I might have a vitamin B deficiency and suggested some tablets to remedy it. I felt a whole lot better after that, and it was a very simple solution.

As well as physical causes, these kind of feelings and behaviour can also be brought on by things such as an identity crisis. For example, if your boyfriend is treated by others as being just your boyfriend rather than as a person in his own right. I've seen many trailing spouses suffer from anxiety and other symptoms because they felt they didn't know who they were any more, and they weren't sure they still had a role to play.

Perhaps you can talk to him when he's calm and rational to see if he has any ideas why he might be feeling this way.

Good luck.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 15338
Joined: Wed 22 Jan 2003 13:06 GMT
Location: Kent for a couple of years

Return to Portugal