It is currently Mon 18 Nov 2019 11:37 GMT
Change font size

Bulgaria - Other

Using Bulgarian Car Insurance in the UK

Post here only if your question doesn't belong anywhere else. Don't post loads of questions all in one message - that would defeat the point of the forums and such posts will be deleted (don't feel embarrassed if you have 5 or 6 questions - you're welcome to ask them in separate posts in the appropriate place). (NB - if you want to post about something not Bulgaria-specific, then use the main British Expat Forum.)

Using Bulgarian Car Insurance in the UK

Postby danny2010 » Sat 5 Jun 2010 02:18 GMT

I'm looking for some advice regarding car insurance. I'm 18 and i am going to be buying a BMW 118, As i am a young and new driver the insurance in the UK costs more than the car, but i have heard its possible to take the car to Bulgaria and register it there, then take out cheaper Bulgarian insurance with international coverage and drive it back to the UK. I have got a quote by going down as an additional driver on another persons policy but its still very expensive, it only works out about 15% cheaper. Can anyone tell me the process i need to go through to obtain this ?

Cheers,

Danny.
Posted by:
danny2010

Postby Dave » Sat 5 Jun 2010 05:45 GMT

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are a number of obvious pitfalls that spring to mind.

For starters, you're likely to have to register as a resident in Bulgaria to get your car registered there - and then when you return to the UK, you'll be expected to re-register the car in the UK after a certain amount of time if you're resident in the UK.

You'll also need to be very sure that your Bulgarian insurance covers you for driving primarily outside Bulgaria - it may well be that they'll invalidate your cover if they have reason to suspect you're not in Bulgaria most of the time.

And, as you've discovered, you'll still need to be insured to get your car to Bulgaria in the first place.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Use a bulgarian car insurance company to insure UK vehicle

Postby neorocco » Sat 18 Feb 2012 10:57 GMT

Dear Danny,

I am a 22 year old student and with inexorbitant pricing of UK insurance quotes. I am planning to have my car insured by a european insurance company, for the purpose of a cheaper quote.

I don;t mind taking my to bulgaria, have it registered insured under a BG company and drive back to here. I am interested in the lowest possible cost so it would be third party cover only as that's usually cheapest.

Great minds think alike.

If you have gone ahead with this idea please communicate back.

Kind regards adn good luck.

rudy
Posted by:
neorocco

Return to Bulgaria - Other