It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 05:44 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Family and Pets

Taking a cat and dog into Bulgaria

... and other domestic issues. This forum is to deal with information about these issues. Anecdotes and updates about your family and pets should go in "The Rose", not here.

Taking a cat and dog into Bulgaria

Postby emilyj336 » Fri 14 Sep 2012 22:06 GMT

I may be moving to Sofia soon and am wondering how to go about bringing my dog and cat with me. Also, does anyone have any ideas how they would cope with the different temperatures, and how easily they would be allowed back into the UK if we came back again.
pls help, don't want to give up my pets.
Emily :D
Posted by:
emilyj336

dogs & cats going to Bulgaria

Postby polish » Sat 20 Oct 2012 15:43 GMT

You will have no problem bringing your pets to Bulgaria,we do it every year with our German Shepherd,problem is you need a passport for your dog to get it back to the u/k you will have to get your dog ticked and wormed no earlier than 24 hours and no later tham 36 hours we stop off at a vets in Germany 20 euro and hope we dont have any hold ups the customs at the docks are very keen on taking pets to the u/k.
Posted by:
polish

Postby sazz » Wed 20 Mar 2013 16:31 GMT

hi we have a house in bulgaria and are hoping to drive over to bulgaria in october and take our dog with us i have read that we need pet passport which seems straight forward but im confused with the regulations of coming and going as were only planning on staying a week to see how they deal with the travel and temperature etc is this possible?
Posted by:
sazz

Postby bones » Thu 21 Mar 2013 08:27 GMT

Hi,
Our cat has no real problems with the heat but i do tend to shut in in the house during the hottest parts of the day.

The temperatures here in October are much the same as in the UK, it wil be June,July and August that the temperature is at it's highest. Here in the north east we got to 49.5 degrees most days for over 3 weeks but always above 30 in the summer months.
As long as you have somewhere in the shade and plenty to drink they should be fine.

I think the rules have changed regarding the travelling of dogs, you no longer need to stop 24 hours before entering the UK.
The dogs have to have had their rabees jab, wormed and flee treatment before entering UK. The defra site has all the current info that you need
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
bones
Free member

Return to Family and Pets